Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Media player won't work for my roku 3 after the last update

@Ohiobmwbiker A USB stick formatted for FF/Rewind will never appear in RMP. It's formatted in a special way and it not recognized for any other purpose.

It sounds like your installation of RMP is hung up. I suggest removing it, rebooting the Roku TV (not just powering it off, unplug it for 30 seconds), then adding the RMP channel back in. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Barr1& @Ohiobmwbiker -

What Roku software version are you running?  Settings > System > About will show you.

Also what Roku Media Player version are you running?  Highlight the RMP tile on the home page channel grid (don't press OK) and press * on your Roku remote.

Perhaps your problems relate to Roku version 11 that is currently being rolled out.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Ohiobmwbiker
Reel Rookie

@makaiguy, @Barr1

Roku TV: 5510X

Hitachi Model: 50R5

Roku software version: 11.0.0 build 4168-32

Roku Media Player version: 5.5 build 13

fyi, I did try to uninstall and reinstall RMP.

I just now copied some files over to a smaller USB stick to test.  Another post in this forum mentioned that a smaller USB device seemed to function.  The one that is not currently recognized by RMP is a Samsung 128GB formatted as Fat32.  The one I started tested with is an old 2G also formatted as Fat32.  The 2GB USB stick works!!!

Next test, I had a 64GB USB formatted as NTFS.  No dice. (no worky lol)

It gets a bit more interesting here - the last two USBs tested were both 32GB, one NTFS and one Fat32. The Fat32 one worked the NTFS did not.

Hope this helps!!!

For other folks who I may be confused by my first post, I had been using a USB non-powered hub for the last year so I could use 2 USB sticks, 1 for pause functionality 1 for photos, videos, etc.  During troubleshooting I removed the hub and verified that the USB port in the TV is still functional and that the pause feature still works with each of the USB sticks.  This shows that the hardware all seems to still be functional.  I then formatted one as Fat32 (during my pause testing the Roku formatted it), copied a few files back, and RMP still didn't read them.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Ohiobmwbiker-

Congratulations.  You are one of the early receivers of Roku 11 and whatever attendant problems it brings with it.  Help with any issues from the Community may be limited because so few have received Roku 11 at this point.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Re: Roku 3 USB port won't recognize MP4 files

@mfa-

Roku operating software version 11 has started rolling out.  Your problem might be the result of that.  Settings > System > About will show you your Roku version.

0 Kudos
Ohiobmwbiker
Reel Rookie

Re: My roku media player is not working

@AvsGunnar

Thank you for this suggestion - RMP was not recognizing my 128GB USB stick but after reading this I was able to use a 32GB formatted as Fat32.  A 32GB formatted as NTFS didn't work, nor a 64 or the 128 as Fat32.

I posted this under another topic but thought I'd come back here to throw credit were due.  

Unfortunately, it is a work around not a solution to why my 128GB worked for over a year and then an update stopped it from being read.

AvsGunnar

Re: My roku media player is not working

@Ohiobmwbiker 

Unfortunately, some OS updates are either buggy or introduce unintended consequences to otherwise perfectly working setups.

As more users start to get OS 11, hopefully can start to figure out some solutions.  Sometimes, though,  a build update released by Roku addressing the issue is required.

When OS 10 was released, I lost the ability to use RMP when my USB media was setup through my router.  I actually had to plug it into the Roku Ultra USB  to view content, but that meant rest of my TVs could no longer view the content.  I think it took Roku a couple weeks to fix that issue.  They did seem a little quicker in their responses back then though.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
mfa
Reel Rookie

Yes, version 11 is running. Any thoughts on how to check if this is the problem? I've tried using a powered USB hub, though the Roku does recognize when a USB drive is inserted, the USB thumb drive is properly formatted, and the MP4 files have been converted to Roku settings (Handbrake) but still the Roku just gives me the help page. Frustrating.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Not wanting to be annoying about this, but when you removed the channel did you do a system restart? On a Roku TV, that is not just turning it off and back on. Use the Settings/System restart menu option or unplug the TV for at least thirty seconds. 

That's the most recent version of RMP, so it's not stuck on an older version. I'm still on 10.5 on my Ultra that's currently in front of me, and I don't see any of this behavior. Hopefully they didn't introduce a problem with RMP in the 11.0 version of the OS. The only Roku I have with 11.0 doesn't have a USB port, so I can't test on that one. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
renojim

There seem to be a few reports of issues with Roku 3 devices, RMP, USB drives, and v11.0.  Bringing this to the attention of @RokuDanny-R .

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos