Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teduardo
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Media Player Not Working

@atc98092 wrote:

@Teduardo You need to list the model numbers of your Roku players. There's far too many different versions to provide you with an answer without knowing that.

Many users have reported success changing their drives to FAT32. You would have a file size limitation of 4 GB, if that works for you.

I have Three Roku devices:

#001 - 4230X   - 11.0.0 build 4180-04 - Updated Apr 20 12:32 pm

#002 - 4230X2 - 11.0.0 build 4180-04 - Updated Apr 20 2:10 pm

#003 - 4230X   - 10.5.0 build 4208-04 - Updated Dec 9 1:45 pm

The first two cannot play media on an NTFS flash drive since the 11.0.0 update.

The third device still can.

However, after I reformatted a small 32GB flash drive with FAT32 All Three devices can play media just fine.

This is adequate for my needs. But if anyone else requires an NTFS device then this appears to be an upgrade bug that should be fixed.

Also, I don't know if FAT32 resolves the issue with larger flash drives. I have a 64GB that I routinely used, but for now the smaller drive is adequate.

On a lighter note, I just realized the 11.0 updates occurred on 420. So is it possible that the Roku people were "celebrating" when they issued the update, and did not catch this bug. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Teduardo
Binge Watcher

@Macwarrior wrote:

Would that be 4GB per file or 4GB for the whole drive? Also what about MP3? Should be able to use those as well?

FAT32 is 4GB per file with a drive limit of 32GB on WinXP.

0 Kudos
Macwarrior
Channel Surfer

I was going to format my 2T external hd to FAT32 but that isn't one of the options. The only options are NTFS or exFAT.

Will exFAT work instead of FAT32?

0 Kudos
Deb39

Re: Media player won't work for my roku 3 after the last update

Roku Media Server on my Roku 3 software version 11*build 4180*04 doesn't work with Ready DLNA or my USB drive. It was working fine until yesterday. Roku Media Server is working on my Roku sticks running version 11 * build 4180 * 24, so I know that the problem isn't with my network. I've tried everything from restarting the Roku 3, trying wired and wireless connections and even performing a factory reset and the problem persists. I suspect that Roku will soon make the Roku 3 obsolete. 🤬

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Macwarrior wrote:

Will exFAT work instead of FAT32?

I don't believe exFAT is supported. It would be a recent change it if works, as their support pages still say no.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Deb39 wrote:

I suspect that Roku will soon make the Roku 3 obsolete. 🤬

Entirely possible. Your 4200 was released Sept 2013, so it's approaching 9 years old and uses completely different hardware from newer players. Even the newer version of the Roku 3 was released seven years ago. It gets difficult supporting multiple types of hardware with the same operating system. That's why Microsoft and Apple both drop support for older versions of their OS after a period of time. It's too hard to maintain so many versions. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AirMojo
Streaming Star

@atc98092 @Deb39 

Well if Roku does make the Roku 3 obsolete, they better figure out a way to back out the Software 11 that made it obsolete, so we still have a usable device, and prevent it from being automatically updated again !

They should actually make this a system option so we can go back if the new release is buggy.

I hate automatic system updates... at least with computers, you can restore to a previous update and continue using your computer.

Don't get me wrong... I love my two Roku 3 boxes... I like their portability... I use one even with my one smart TV.... if I had to I would buy a new and improved version... as long as it will work with any TV.

0 Kudos
Teduardo
Binge Watcher

I second the motion. Obsoleting peoples' working hardware to force them to upgrade Will Not Fly! Smiley Mad

If Roku is going to do that, I may as well go back to Cable - Or take my chances with an Amazon Fire Stick!

0 Kudos
new-user-12345
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R same problem - Roku media player stopped recognizing media on a USB thumb drive (SanDisk 256 GB) which worked perfectly fine till the OS update to 11.0.

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

Roku TV: 5305X (Insignia model NS-55DR420NA16)

Device ID: 473576888324

Software version: 11.0.0 build 4180-12

-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)

Roku media player 5.5 build 13 

-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

Tracker Issue ID 24-165-323

-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

0 Kudos
T588

From Windows 10 you can format a 2TB hard drive to FAT32 using the command prompt or Powershell.

https://toolbox.iskysoft.com/hard-drive-recovery/format-fat32-windows-10.html

0 Kudos