Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Hard drive plugged into the USB port won’t work

@DrTroy and @dennis21 

Roku is seeking device and issue info regarding this over in this thread.  (https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Media-player-won-t-work-for-my-roku-3-after-t...)

Does seem to be an OS 11 update issue affecting some Roku devices.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Drae
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Media Player Not Working

The software update to version 11.0.0 build 4180-04 was done on my 4230X-Roku 3. Since then, Roku Media Player does not recognize any USB drive.  There are many threads about this issue.  I have used it 4 or 5 times a week without problem and now it is useless.  I wish the problem would get fixed.  There are at least 4 threads that I have found.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Drae
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku 3 stopped recognizing USB device after software update

The software update to version 11.0.0 build 4180-04 was done on my 4230X-Roku 3. Since then, Roku Media Player does not recognize any USB drive.  There are many threads about this issue.  I have used it 4 or 5 times a week without problem and now it is useless.  I wish the problem would get fixed.  There are at least 4 threads that I have found.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
atc98092

@Drae A workaround has been suggested, by formatting your external drive to FAT32. Not workable if you have larger files, but it has worked for a number of users. 

It only appears to be affecting the older players, say fourth generation or older. Yours is a third generation, while the latest models are now the tenth generation. Roku is aware of the issue, and hopefully they can determine what needs to be changed to work correctly with the older chipsets. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: Roku 3 stopped recognizing USB device after software update

@EASYRIDER wrote:

Somebody at ROKU forgot to add NFTS format to the new software  update.

Nope, it sees NTFS just fine. It's something specific with the chipset used in the Roku 3. As mentioned, FAT32 still works, but the file size limitation might make that unusable for some.  

Dan

0 Kudos
Drae
Binge Watcher

Roku Media Player not working with Update 11.0.0

The software update to version 11.0.0 build 4180-04 was done on my 4230X-Roku 3. Since then, Roku Media Player does not recognize any USB drive. There are many threads about this issue. I have used it 4 or 5 times a week without problem for years and now it is useless. I wish the problem would get fixed.

0 Kudos
Macwarrior
Channel Surfer

I'm playing MP4 full length movies on my Western Digital T2 external hard drive. Should I format it to FAT 32 or would it work as is with an upgraded Roku unit?

Thanks ~Jes

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Macwarrior if it's working now for you there's no reason to reformat the drive. If you're saying that your media is all MP4, and right now you can't play them, then yes a change to FAT32 would work. Just remember the 4 GB file size limit and 8 TB partition size limit of FAT32. 

It does appear there's no issue with newer Roku players. I've only tested my Ultra 4800, but it sees NTFS just fine and I can play anything from my portable drive. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Teduardo
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Media Player not working with Update 11.0.0

@Drae wrote:

The software update to version 11.0.0 build 4180-04 was done on my 4230X-Roku 3. Since then, Roku Media Player does not recognize any USB drive. There are many threads about this issue. I have used it 4 or 5 times a week without problem for years and now it is useless. I wish the problem would get fixed.

Same here. Look like the update occurred on 04/20.

What I would like to know is:

1. Can these automatic updates be turned off? (I would just as soon not have them if they mess things up.)

2. Will a factory reset fix this?

I have three of these Roku devices, and so far the 3rd one has not been updated.

Way to go Roku Magoo! 🙄

The next time you "people" issue an update please make sure you do not Screw Up our devices! 😡

Teduardo
Binge Watcher

I don't know what brand of thumb drives you are using.

I have two SansDisk device that Are Not recognized on Two of the Three Rokus I own. Both of those have the 11.0 update.

The Third Roku that I own is at v10.5, and the SansDisk devices work in that one.

So we would really appreciate it if Roku would fix this Bug soon.

0 Kudos