Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emet
Reel Rookie

Max channel is turning captions off.

Jump to solution

Roku Ultra 4670X, Software Version 12.5.5. HBO Max version 56.6 build 1

I have set the captions in the Roku settings to On Always from the main Roku Settings menu.

I launch HBO Max, select a program to watch and there are no captions.
I press * on the Roku remote and the Roku system setting for captions is OFF.
If I turn the setting back to On Always, when the next episode plays, it turns back off again.

This does not happen on Hulu.
This does not happen on Disney+.
This does not happen on Peacock.
This does not happen on TCM.

This is clearly a problem with HBO Max.
I have checked for channel updates, system updates, restarted the device.

This needs to be fixed.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Max channel is turning captions off.

Jump to solution

Warmest welcome here in the Roku Community, @emet!

We appreciate you for taking the time to validate the closed captioning issues on other channels. We also acknowledged the fact that this is only happening on the Max channel. No worries! We're here to provide more information about this.

Please note that enabling closed captioning directly from Roku settings may not enable it within certain channels as they have their own operating system. In this case, we highly recommend reaching out to the channel provider themselves and letting them know bout this matter for further clarification and assistance.

The majority of content on the Roku platform comes from streaming channels maintained and updated independently by the channel's provider. You may contact them here: Max Support

We hope you get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime. Once again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused your streaming.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Warmest welcome here in the Roku Community, @emet!

We appreciate you for taking the time to validate the closed captioning issues on other channels. We also acknowledged the fact that this is only happening on the Max channel. No worries! We're here to provide more information about this.

Please note that enabling closed captioning directly from Roku settings may not enable it within certain channels as they have their own operating system. In this case, we highly recommend reaching out to the channel provider themselves and letting them know bout this matter for further clarification and assistance.

The majority of content on the Roku platform comes from streaming channels maintained and updated independently by the channel's provider. You may contact them here: Max Support

We hope you get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime. Once again, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused your streaming.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
emet
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just got off a chat with Max support. After the usual troubleshooting (pull the plug on the Roku, wait & plug in), the problem did not resolve. I received the following message:

"As per checking with my resources, I see that this issue is a known issue and our team is already working on it and they are working on fixing it."

Hope this will let others know if they experience this problem.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted, @emet!

We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding this matter. We hope they will update their channel so you can get back on streaming at your convenience. 

Your continuous support of Roku is highly appreciated. Please don't hesitate to let us know anytime you need help with your Roku as we'd be more than happy to continue doing so. You may also visit our support website to help you. 

Happy Streaming!
Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos