Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fourputt

Re: Max Subtitles/Closed Captions not working

@RokuAnjelie

I believe it's a Roku issue. I can play on an iOS device with Max app and get closed captions.

0 Kudos
jdseymour
Reel Rookie

@wrp37170  Your trick worked for me - but it's fragile.  I went into the app and was able to turn the captions on.  But then I restarted the episode and it was broken again.

Still, it's better than nothing and might suffice until Max fixes the bug.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Thank you for this tip, I tried several other suggestions and none worked. But switching captions from Spanish back to English made them reappear. Thanks so much!! 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Again, Max writes the app. Each device is different. They don't all run the same code.

0 Kudos
Walt704

You have to change to Spanish while watching a program.  Press down then navigate to the icon in the bottom right corner.

0 Kudos
SYorkie

I had the same issue.  Was watching a movie and an Hgtv show neither of which had Spanish as a cc option.  Went to “and just like that”. Changed cc to Spanish and back to English.  Cc then began working on all programs.  It is only a Roku issue with max as it is on an issue on iOS or fire tv

0 Kudos
Mguy
Channel Surfer

Closed Captions is no longer working on the MAX app using Roku. All other apps I tried, the closed captions are working OK. This was working OK a few days ago.  

andyross
Roku Guru

I'll add that last night I watched two episodes of "The Righteous Gemstones" on Max on my Ultra 4800, and a test showed closed captioning was working fine.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mguy,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you've encountered an issue with the closed caption feature on MAX. It might be best to contact the channel provider directly and inquire further about the issue to address and resolve it. Most channels on the Roku platform are designed and maintained by the channel providers themselves.

If there's anything we further assist you with in the future, please don't hesitate to let us know.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jc425

Try the Spanish subtitle solution posted by Stavia.  It worked for me after all the resets, etc didn't.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.