Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Booger1xx
Reel Rookie

Local channels from Spectrum on Roku

I have Spectrum and when I switch to another Wi-Fi service, other than the Spectrum Wi-Fi all my local channels will no longer stream. There a way to correct this issue?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Local channels from Spectrum on Roku

Hello @Booger1xx

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community! Can you please provide us with more information regarding the issue you are experiencing?

1. Have you tried restarting your Router?
2. Is there an error message when attempting to stream the channel? What are the exact steps to reproduce the issue?
3. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? Have you removed the channel, restart the device the add the channel back? Note: Please make sure to restart your Roku device after removing the channel and before adding the channel back to ensure the process is successful.

Please keep us posted with the details.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Booger1xx
Reel Rookie

I am thinking this has to do with Spectrum wanting customers to use their Wi-Fi service. I have since downloaded the network apps and I can get the national programming but not my local news and weather. I do get the news and weather from a major area in my state,Texas. Is there a way for me to get the local news and weather?

My other question is there a way to download an app from Apple or google store to use on my Roku (I noticed my local ABC affiliate has an app for my local news channel)

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @Booger1xx

Thanks for the post.

What's the model number of your Roku displayed under Settings->System->About? If the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your hotspot is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to when connecting to another network. 
You can see more tips for troubleshooting a wireless network connection outlined here: How to connect your Roku streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Booger1xx
Reel Rookie

My Roku device is a Roku Express 4K+ and my Wi-Fi is 2.4 GHz. The issue I have is the local news and any commercials are from an Austin,Texas station. I get the national network programming by using the network app.(ie. ABC). Even when I’m on the Spectrum app say on the Travel channel the commercials are from the Austin,Texas station.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Some channel apps determine your location by the IP number assigned to you by your internet provider. If your internet provider assigns or changes your IP number to one attached to one of its servers located in a different area, that could change the local stations you are provided.

You can use an IP info website like the ones listed below to see where the IP number assigned by your internet provider indicates you are located. If this doesn't represent your actual area, you can contact your internet provider and ask to be reassigned an IP in your area.

Some IP info websites:
https://www.iplocation.net/
https://www.iplocation.com/
https://tools.keycdn.com/geo
https://www.ipfingerprints.com/
A web search for "IP Location" can find many more.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos