Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Edleppard

It's A Wonderful Life isn't the original

The version currently available on Roku isn't the original.  This version has a completely different musical score, which makes it like a Hallmark movie.  In the opening credits, they removed the "It's", so it's just "A Wonderful Life", they changed the composer of the musical score and it also says it's based on a story by Charles Dickens instead of Philip Van Doren Stern.

I hope Roku corrects this and puts the original version up.

49 REPLIES 49
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: It's A Wonderful Life isn't the original

Hi, @Edleppard

Greetings and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. This information and your concern have been forwarded to the appropriate Roku team, who will investigate and address this issue. Once more details are available, we'll make sure to provide an update.

For the meantime, your patience and understanding would greatly be appreciated as we work on this. 

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Mmmle

Totally agree!   I saw the difference when the title came up and I watched it for about 5 minutes when I turned it off and found the original classic.  Do NOT mess with a classic.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Mmmle

Congrats on your first post here in the Roku Community.

This concern has been acknowledged, and we have passed this information to the appropriate Roku team, who will be handling this further to address it. Rest assured that an update will be provided to them.

If you have further concerns or inquiries, please feel free to reach out to us. It's our pleasure to assist.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
Nellice
Reel Rookie

I completely agree. It’s a wonderful life is my favourite movie and I hope they put the music back to the original. When George goes to visit Mary’s house, she plays some song on her record player when it should’ve been “Buffalo Gal”. This definitely needs to be corrected because the whole of their relationship was based on the bond they shared from singing together after they fell in the pool. I started watching but can’t get into it because the difference is deafening to me. 

jlporter013
Channel Surfer

I noticed this as well and had to do a Google search to see what was going on. Glad I found this thread and that I'm not the only one who found this annoying. I hope Roku fixes it and adds the real movie.

BArcher57

We noticed, too! The music, claiming it's based on a story by "Charles Dickens" - we're still watching just to see what else has been substituted in what must be a bootlegged copy.

jlporter013
Channel Surfer

Hopefully Roku fixes it!

Nellice
Reel Rookie

If I’m not mistaken some of the smaller characters’ voices are different too. 

Welker

We watched this last night on Roku.  Although I didn’t notice the opening credits, or the “Based on a Story by Charles Dickens 😂😂😂” bit, I immediately noticed the music changes as they occurred one after the other. In an attempt to modernize this movie classic, the producers of this “fake film” have ruined the original score to the point of changing what makes older movies so desirable, especially this one. I first saw IWL with my then boyfriend at his parents house in 1983 at Christmas in NJ. I had such fond movies of watching this with him while decorating the tree on Christmas Eve (don’t ask….its a tradition at his house).  We’ve watched this movie every year as husband and wife for 40 years. It’s our favorite holiday movie. I’ve done radio broadcasts using the scene of the run on the bank to explain the banking system to listeners. And even that was ruined because they added music where there was none. Although you may think that the music in this film means nothing, it does mean everything to the millions of viewer of this film that Frank Capra so eloquently put together in 1946. I do not believe that Frank Capra nor his heirs gave any approval to change the original version of this movie. To whomever changed this original score by Dimitri Tiomkin, may you get sued by someone, anyone who believes in artistic integrity. All I can say is what we say in the south when someone does something stupid …”BLESS YOUR HEART”!!!

We are getting into a very dangerous habit these days of digitally changing films, books, vocal recordings using AI to do so. If we do not refuse this horrible practice, we will soon be out of good, wholesome entertainment that was produced in good spirit of humanity.  We will forever be stuck in a world where DEI is being forced down our throats in every book, every magazine, every digital copy of every form of media we have, on our Television sets, on our radios, on our computers, and on our smart phone devices.  If we don’t push back now, we are going to be forced to live in a world without the goodness and light in our fellow man. #it’sawonderfullife #christmas #classicmovies #holiday

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.