Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenstevens

Re: It's A Wonderful Life isn't the original

still not fixed  12-17-2023

Kimberlit

Yep, i don't like these changes either.  It's awful.  Taking something perfect and messed it up. 

Milkdud

Thank goodness I have a copy both in VHS and DVD to fall back on. 

I’m almost afraid to watch The Bishops Wife with Cary Grant. 

Christmas DVDs here I come. 

One more thing How did I wind up with a PIG 🐽 next to my name!! 🤣

0 Kudos
Staupitz

Just listened to a Wall Street Journal podcast that answered this. I’ll try to be concise.

1. In 1974, the rights to IAWL belonged to Republic Pictures, but they forgot to file papers to extend the copyright and if it fell into the Public Domain. This meant any TV station could air it for free.

2. The repeated showings of IAWL on local TV stations ironically is the reason IAWL got a second lease on life. A box office disappointment when it was originally released, through now constant exposure it found a new, large and passionate fan base.

3. By the mid 80’s IAWL became iconic and there were multiple companies issuing it on VHS (for free)

4. Republic Pictures decided they needed to do something. It was too late to control the rights to the film, BUT they did manage to get and keep control of the rights to the soundtrack of IAWL by Dimitri Tiomkin and the short story it’s based on by Philip Van Doren Stern.

5. So now in order to air a FREE version of IAWL both the original soundtrack and any reference to the original short story has to be excised.

6. So now only NBC is licensed to broadcast the unchanged, undiluted version of IAWL. Other broadcasters and streaming services can only legally show it by substituting a different soundtrack and, in the opening credits, remove the reference to the original short story.

7. So now you know why versions playing on any platform other than NBC has that awful music and in the opening credits claims it’s based on a “Story by Charles Dickens”.

jlporter013
Channel Surfer

@Staupitz Very interesting. Good to know, thank you!

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Staupitz 

The link to the WSJ transcript and podcast you may be referring to is here https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/the-journal/the-wonderful-accident-behind-a-christmas-classic/d65f820b-...

----

Although not necessarily stated (in that podcast or other sources discussing this copyright snafu) that others can continue to provide the film for free by simply changing the music, this helps explains what people are seeing.  Since NBC is provided the exclusive viewing right of the copyrighted music along with the film and reference to the original short story 'The Greatest Gift' (per an agreement with Republic Pictures), it appears that others are only provided with a license to provide the film 'without the copyrighted music' or reference to the original short story.

Since no longer in the public domain, cannot just provide the film for free simply by changing the music.  Still need permission/license from Republic Pictures.

Glad I still have the original Black and White version in a bunch of different video formats/mediums.

Thanks for providing the info, clears up a bunch of confusion. 👍

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
GabStreamer
Channel Surfer

Thank you for that information! I wish all viewers could know this before they watch, like there could be a disclaimer slide at the beginning before it starts. That's something that Roku should look into. 

Nellice
Reel Rookie

Not sure how true that podcast/article was. I’m watching the original right now on Christmas Plus. You have to put up with commercials but at least it has the right music and voices and it’s in colour. 

0 Kudos
MShelley
Reel Rookie

If anyone else noticed, the sync is off by a split second and the clarity is the visual is slightly better.  The charm of this movie was compromised. 😤 Retro Reels has the original.  I agree with a previous comment, if I wanted a cookie cutter movie, there’s always hallmark. 

0 Kudos
GrumpyP

Where were you able to find the original? We checked every free option and all of them had this abomination. We’d be happy to rent it if we could be assured it’s not this fakery!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.