Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluefunoodle311
Reel Rookie

Recommended for you, inappropriate content on home

Jump to solution

Can confirm. Recommended for you screenshot  

I tore through every TV in my house, kids’ phones, and internet history to try and figure out who was getting grounded for watching this **bleep**, but turns out it’s just Roku shoveling garbage onto the home screen. 

I posted about this in the Roku subreddit and was immediately banned.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Recommended for you, inappropriate content on home

Jump to solution

Hi @bluefunoodle311,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We recognize your concerns regarding the content displayed in the "Recommend for You" row.

Our Recommendation Row is crafted with your family's well-being in mind. Recognizing the significance of maintaining a secure viewing environment, particularly in the presence of young children, we have implemented stringent guidelines to ensure the absence of mature content during daylight hours.

Moreover, should you ever wish to pause the recommendation feature, you retain full control. Simply navigate to Settings > Home screen > Layout > Recommendation rows and opt to Hide. With a simple click, the content row will vanish, granting you the liberty to peruse your preferred applications without interruption.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you still have any questions.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @bluefunoodle311,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We recognize your concerns regarding the content displayed in the "Recommend for You" row.

Our Recommendation Row is crafted with your family's well-being in mind. Recognizing the significance of maintaining a secure viewing environment, particularly in the presence of young children, we have implemented stringent guidelines to ensure the absence of mature content during daylight hours.

Moreover, should you ever wish to pause the recommendation feature, you retain full control. Simply navigate to Settings > Home screen > Layout > Recommendation rows and opt to Hide. With a simple click, the content row will vanish, granting you the liberty to peruse your preferred applications without interruption.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you still have any questions.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bluefunoodle311
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You might want to double check those “stringent guidelines” because it was definitely proudly on display in broad daylight on all my TVs and the Roku app. 

Also, despite manually hiding the recommendations row on the TV, there’s nothing stopping anyone from going back into the menu and re-enabling it because there’s no global parental controls on that setting to lock it down.

This has obviously been an issue for many years, as evidenced by other complaints in this thread.

Do better, Roku.

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Even if you manually hide that annoying recommendations row a lot of times it gets reenabled automatically by Roku. Many times it's randomly appeared on my Roku devices and I've had to go back into the settings to hide it again.

It's obvious that Roku purposely keeps doing this to try to shove their annoying recommendations at us. Roku, when we disable a setting DO NOT turn it back on with an update. Stop messing with the settings on our devices that we paid for!

0 Kudos
Natalia
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

When clicking on "search" to find a channel, a bunch of recommendations pop up, including "30 Women 30 Days" where there's a photo of 3 or 4 naked women. This was during daytime hours and my daughter was present. 

As someone else stated, if someone wants to watch this filth, make them search it out. Don't put it somewhere where children can easily see it. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.