Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neighballine
Reel Rookie

In show subtitles not appearing in disney plus or hbo

Jump to solution

When watching Andor and other Disney shows and house of dragon on hbo no subtitles appear when they speak a foreign language (translating the high valerian to english). This is a new issue cause we watched the last season without issues on this TV not that long ago maybe 6 months ago. Not sure with Disney plus but we watch all the star wars shows and they often have other languages and don't remember there being a problem (currently watching acolyte and andor and there have been multiple scenes where we had no clue what was being said). This is not a closed captioning issue, cause we don't want them on all the time. Just want the subtitles that are supposed to be there because the show put them in so we could understand what the actors are saying.

We have tried reinstalling Disney plus but not hbo. That didn't work. Googled this issue and everyone was talking about closed captioning which is not our issue but I tried those fixes anyways and it didn't work. Restarted tv. Have gone in the app and tried to adjust settings while watching episode. Have tried adjusting settings at the home screen. Checked that our software was up to date.

I'm at a loss. I think the last thing I can do is try to do a factory reset but don't want to do that if I don't have to. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: In show subtitles not appearing in disney plus or hbo

Jump to solution

Hi @Neighballine,

Thanks for reaching us here in the Roku Community!

It is highly likely that this issue impacts a channel that requires an update. The troubleshooting you have undertaken has not addressed the problem. We strongly advise sharing this report with the channel support team for decisive assistance. It is important to note that channels on Roku are managed directly by the channel providers themselves.

Please let us know if they're able to resolve this or if there's anything else we can further assist you.

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Neighballine,

Thanks for reaching us here in the Roku Community!

It is highly likely that this issue impacts a channel that requires an update. The troubleshooting you have undertaken has not addressed the problem. We strongly advise sharing this report with the channel support team for decisive assistance. It is important to note that channels on Roku are managed directly by the channel providers themselves.

Please let us know if they're able to resolve this or if there's anything else we can further assist you.

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Neighballine
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I had at length discussion with HBO and none of their suggestions worked to fix it. I posted on Reddit and other people have mentioned that the subtitles only do not work on their Roku TV, but subtitles will work on their tablet and phone. Based off this I suspect the issue is actually with the TV not the apps.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.