Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tejanita

Re: How to watch local channels?

Jump to solution

I have a Sharp TV unit in my kitchen, and where I plugged the Roku device. 

0 Kudos
Rags7764
Reel Rookie

Re: How to watch local channels's ?

Jump to solution

You might try scanning channels on the new device in kitchen. Sounds like you might not have. Sounds like it's getting it's info from your living room tv. I'm quite new at this so good luck to you anyhow. Eric

0 Kudos
Rags7764
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Brand new _ROKU_ tv in box delivered by Walmart. Look man it's a Roku tv alright.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@tejanita wrote:

How do I get the numbers on my TV with this new ROKU device, I cannot find any local channels or number as I scroll down to find them, can't see any of my local channels. Need some assistance with this, thank you. 

What Roku "device"? If you have a Roku player (that connects to a TV with an HDMI cable or plugs directly into an HDMI port) it doesn't show local TV channels, period. It does not have a TV tuner and is not capable of displaying OTA TV. There are network based TV tuners (such as one from Silicon Dust) that you can connect to an antenna and using the HDHR app on a Roku watch OTA TV. But that's the only way a Roku player can show OTA TV. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Rags7764 you can understand why we have to ask. The comment above yours is trying to find OTA channels on a Roku player, not a Roku TV. We have to be certain what kind of Roku device is being used. 

Roku keeps changing the home screen on Roku TVs and it seems to be harder to find the antenna input. The only TV I have is used solely as a computer monitor, so I can't say where the antenna input is hiding now. It has to be there, but I don't know the current tile layout on a TV.

Dan

0 Kudos
Rags7764
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Aren't they calling it live tv.  At least in that you should be able to scan for channels. Anyway that's where I found it. Good luck. Eric 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I've heard that Live TV doesn't always provide OTA channels, or perhaps it mixes it in with the IPTV channels. On my TVs with such IPTV channels (Samsung and LG) those channels are always after the OTA channels are displayed. Like I said, Roku is trying to "simplify" their user interface but in reality making it more confusing. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Rags7764
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Not familiar with devices. I just recently got a new Roku tv. 1st one ever. When ever I figure out or find something new, believe me I will share it. Thanks Eric 

0 Kudos
Rags7764
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

"more confusing" got that right 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Most of us use the term "devices" to help differentiate between a standalone Roku player and a Roku OS TV. Much of what is discussed can mostly apply to both categories, but in some cases, such as over the air TV, we have to make certain what type of device is being used. Unfortunately, many, many people seem to believe a Roku player is capable of receiving OTA TV stations, and that simply isn't the case. As I said, there are third party network tuners (I have one myself) that can receive OTA stations and can be viewed on a Roku using the app designed for the tuner. But that's the only way an OTA station can be viewed on a Roku player unless the station in question is available via streaming through some sort of service. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.