Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg2024

How to view local ABC affiliates on Roku.

Jump to solution

Now that ABC has disabled its App. How is one supposed to view their local live ABC affiliate for local news and programming? Hulu, and none of those other channels you can view ABC on do not carry the local ABC affiliates. I am trying to watch WCVB-TV in Boston an ABC affiliate. The Very Local channel that WCVB is associated with does not carry it live, only on demand. So, at six o'clock when I want to watch the news, the only option I have is to watch the Noon edition on demand. Insane. At least on Parmount where CBS has its app you can get the local CBS affiliate WBZ-TV. Disney is destroying television viewing. 

If anyone could be of help, it would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to view local ABC affiliates on Roku.

Jump to solution

Hello! @Greg2024,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us regarding the ABC channel's unavailability on your Roku device. We are happy to assist you.

The ABC channel is no longer available. To continue to access that content, we suggest you contact your TV provider or the URL displayed in the channel when you launch it on your Roku device.  

For reference, here is the channel support contact ABC.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @Greg2024,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us regarding the ABC channel's unavailability on your Roku device. We are happy to assist you.

The ABC channel is no longer available. To continue to access that content, we suggest you contact your TV provider or the URL displayed in the channel when you launch it on your Roku device.  

For reference, here is the channel support contact ABC.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Some stations have their own apps that will air local news and programming. If you want ABC network programming, you need to have an antenna or some Live TV service (cable, satellite, YouTube TV, etc...) Also, for news, some of the free apps like Haystack News, Local Now, NewsOn may offer local NEWS feeds. These feeds may not be live and may be delayed an hour or so.

0 Kudos
Stevejv429
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Was about to ask/ post the same question. 

Sooo, options are:

Pay for another cable box.

Get an outdoor antenna. 

Pay for Disney+ (do they even offer a live local option? Aside from Dancing w/ Stars? )

Pay for Hulu (see above for live local)

Hook laptop to tv to stream abc.com 

Am i missing anythjng?

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

For live streaming of ABC, you need a live TV service. Sling Blue may be the cheapest at $40 as that package has many local ABC, Fox, and NBC stations. Otherwise, you would need a full cable-style streaming like YouTube TV or Hulu+Live TV, both of which are $75-80+.

For reference, ad-free Paramount+ includes live local CBS, and ad-free Peacock includes local NBC. Ad-free Hulu does NOT include live locals, only the Hulu+Live TV offers that.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Stevejv429 

May also be able use an indoor antenna.  (even some old rabbit ears may work).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Mic4
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Get an antenna. I'm in attleboro and watch all the boston stations. Work well.

0 Kudos
madlib

Jump to solution

We pay for a full cable box through verizon and we have roku in the bedroom. How am i paying for cable each month but can’t use abc anymore on roku? But you want me to pay for hulu live to get AbC i’m confused.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku has nothing to do with the removal of the ABC app. That is Disney greed trying to get you to sign up for Disney+ or Hulu+Live TV.

0 Kudos
DeeG

Jump to solution

I pay for one cable box with xfinity and I have a Hulu basic account and I no longer can get abc.  This doesn’t make sense.  I can see on my Roku TV that I use Xfinity which is displayed in the top right corner of the TV.   Also I cannot see live NBC shows .  I did the log in activate NBC but still cannot get to it.  I worked with Roku customer service informed them of error cloud path authorization NID.  Roku said they would get back to me but I have not heard.  VERY DISSATISFIED! 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.