Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrDoh
Binge Watcher

How to get back to my viewing context after time out

When I've been watching something and have to go away from the TV long enough for the Roku to time out, it turns off. When I turn it back on, it's on the home screen, and I've totally lost the context of what I was watching. So I need to go to the streaming app, and get back into the show. The streaming app may or may not allow me to resume, so I may even have to find where I was. Other streaming boxes are set up so that when I turn them back on after a time out they have a LOT more context. They're likely to be in the same streaming app instead of their home screen, and may even be at the same point in the same show I was watching...or, at worst, allow me to "resume" where I was by just clicking on what I was watching.

I'm wondering if there isn't a better way to get back to what I was watching with the Roku when it has timed out? Some way of having some context so that I don't have to manually go back to the app, find the video, and find where I was in it. That's really a waste of time and energy as far as I'm concerned. I find it hard to believe that Roku has become as popular as it is without this.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to get back to my viewing context after time out

Hi! @MrDoh,

Thank you for the post.

Create a single, easy-to-access collection of entertainment from across the Roku platform with Save List. Save movies and TV shows that you like or want to watch later with a click of a button. All your saved titles are easily accessible in What to Watch on your streaming device, just waiting for you to press play.

Use the following steps to save movies and TV shows to your Save List with Roku Text Search or, if you have a voice remote, Roku Voice Search.

1. Press Home on your remote.
  2. Scroll and select Search, or press the Voice button on your remote.
  3. Type or say the title of your movie or TV show.
  4. Use the directional pad on your remote to access the search results.
  5. Select the title.
  6. From the details screen, select Add to Save List.
  • Tip: As you type each letter, the search results will update. You do not have to type the entire title to find your movie or TV show.

For more detailed information about the Roku Save List feature, visit our Support page here: How to save movies and TV shows using the Save List 

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MrDoh
Binge Watcher

Found what I was looking for, it's simple :-). Just turned off the power savings timeout, and don't get timeouts, so context is there when I come back to the TV. I'm less concerned about power savings for a Roku than losing my context due to wandering away from the TV for a while.

Works for me :-).

0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Roku Guru

"Works for you" is at best coincidence. Most apps work the way the designer wants them to work, which may not be the way you want them to work.

0 Kudos
MrDoh
Binge Watcher

Hey, thanks for the sage advice. Didn’t know that.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.