Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sleepyinstl
Reel Rookie

Haystack News screensaver

Is there anything we can do as the community to try to save the Haystack News screensaver? I love it so much. I wake up every morning and get to read the news briefs to know what's going on both around the world and in my backyard. 

Really hate the idea that they're gonna have to get rid of it because of a Roku policy. 

22 REPLIES 22
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Haystack News screensaver

What policy?  Where did you hear it was going away?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Goofus
Streaming Star

It's on the Haystack screensaver, a notice that it's going away due to Roku not allowing a screensaver to be bundled with an app (???)...

It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.  God forbid there's actually a USEFUL screensaver instead of some digital fish.  I mean, SERIOUSLY...

I'll just add this little factoid onto the list of reasons to use GoogleTV or FireCube exclusively.  I don't know what's happening at Roku for the past year or two, but they HAVE to realize how many people are going elsewhere...

This is what happens when a company gets too big for it's britches.  Talking about roku.

PriVate17
Channel Surfer

I suggest you all contact Roku so that they come to their senses.  Roku will likely be pulled from many retails stores as a vast number of customers complain.

Roku may not survive this backlash if they do not come to their senses quickly.

No customers should be passive about what Roku is doing.  The customers are the boss as Roku will soon come to understand.

They may take a serious hit in their stock peices. 

We saw the results of Bud Lights bad decisions, let's hope that Roku can be saved from their bad decisions.  So far they have been a good company but this may be the result of one stupid head manager within Roku.

PriVate17
Channel Surfer

Update: when Bud Light made bad decions recently, both the marketing director Alissa Heinersheid and her boss Daniel Blake were pushed out the door of the company.  We don't know if their are on paid leave but the backlash is serious.  The parent company lost $17 billion in market cap.

Roku will likely lose some of it's key management as a result of their latest stunt ... let's hope their survive the backlash as Roku has been a good company up until the day they started manipulating key features for which helped sell their devises. 

If Haystack news is removed as a Screensaver, I will personally be compelled to demand local retails stores from selling there streaming devices and any televisions equipped with Roku.

These posts need to go far and wise so that Roku understands the importance of treating their customers with honor and respect.

As someone said above, many of us don't want fish scrolling across our screens, we want useful information on our screens.  We can get a fish tank in our homes for fish.  Out televisions are for content we consider to be important.

Haystack news delivers quality content and if Roku is not about understanding our needs, we need to stand up to their nonsense.  They will stumble just as Bud Light stumbled.

The news will soon come out about the details of which management were involved with Roku's bad decisions.  People will not be satisfied with a simple apology.  They will want to see those managers removed from their positions because they lack good judgment.

If Roku has bad management making such important decisions, investors will feel their is instability in the company.

Roku should act fast to assure everyone that their poor decision to remove Haystack News Screensaver has been rectified and that the culprits within Roku have been permanently removed.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Sorry, but you're kidding yourself.  Why Roku is removing ALL screensavers from ALL channels/apps is beyond me, but a LS?  The number of users they may lose is insignificant.  Roku has made what I consider to be far bigger blunders in the past, yet they keep chugging along...

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Goofus
Streaming Star

I agree a LS is a stretch, but Roku has done so many questionable things in the past two years it's just ridiculous.

They removed the talkback feature; the favorites list is constantly cleared; the WiFi signal constantly comes back as "poor"; the OTA feature on Roku TVs says there's no signal; and literally EVERY OS update breaks something that was working previously.

Not to mention every commercial break on EVERY Roku streaming channel is filled with that _____-ing WEIRD AL movie promo.

Their tech team is clearly unqualified, and their sales team is non-existent.  But wait!  We have Roku lightbulbs now!  What?!

Maybe if they'd actually learn how to sell AIRTIME, they could afford to hire a tech team that actually knows what a television is.

MANY TV manufacturers have abandoned Roku in favor of Google.  Check the Walmart stock next time you're in there and you'll see what I'm talking about.  It's just shameful.

PriVate17
Channel Surfer

Well, they are moving in a direction. "Chugging along" would indicate they are moving onwards but the stock charts indicate that their decisions cause them to trend downwards.

I am not kidding myself: when the retail investors (speaking of the stock market) witness bad management decisions the stock prices reflect that nearly instantly.

We need to encourage Roku to get rid of bad management (such as the ones who made the poor policy decision to cut out the Hastack News Screensaver).

When they fire these managers, and replace them with wiser mangers, it provides a boost to investor confidence.

Roku needs to admit their mistakes, fire managers who make poor decisions and put a plan of accountability to customers and investors in place.

This is not my first rodeo with public companies and forum posts.

I warned Evernote and LiveScribe of their management stumbles months before the broader investor market got wind of the issues and they failed to respond.

What then ensued was a broad outcry across many media platforms.  Investors joined in on the campaign against them until they humbly acknowledged their poor decisions.

I want Roku to be an enduring success story.  I hope they listen to advice:

Fire the bad managers (such as the policy directors evolved with the Haystack News issue), acknowledge your bad decisions, plead with the investors to forgive you and promise not to take the market for granted again.

Again, I refer to Bud Light Beer.  What manger is so stupid not to do a test market before forcing a new marketing campaign on the public.  It backfired on them to the tune of a $17 billion hit on their corporate funding.

Roku needs to smartern up and quick!

I sure hope they listen. 

0 Kudos
Matt2h
Reel Rookie

This is why I came to Roku's site today. I am also getting the persistent notification with QR code that "due to Roku platform requirements" the Haystack news screen saver will soon be unavailable. I don't like this at all. I could very well stop using Roku as a platform because of this.