Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Discovery plus app keeps pausing

Jump to solution

@Rushfan

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Discovery+ support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Discovery+ support here: https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-us

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PhxAudioPhile
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Danny,

Thanks for the info.  I've reached out to Discovery Plus multiple times and get basically the same answer.  They are working on it and have no additional information.

It is interesting that people can experience the issue in different ways based on the equipment they are using.  I recommend Discovery Plus to my mom.  She signed up and on her Roku TV the app crashes and sends her to the Roku menu multiple times per episode.  I also recommend it to a friend and on his Roku it was unwatchable.  Video would freeze and resume once a minute.  On my Roku TV I get a freeze and resume 3 to 4 times per episode.

Wish I would have found this forum before recommending Discovery Plus to friends and family as it is a disappointing experience for all of them.

0 Kudos
Imemine
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem that you have but since their latest update not only does it freeze for a few seconds but then it skips about 5 to 10 seconds of the show. I just wrote them another call for help, and they sent me the same exact information that they sent last 3 time to fix this. Clear the cache etc. And they keep telling me to uninstall the app when in fact I can't uninstall the app there's no option to uninstall the app. I even sent them a picture of my television screen showing there was no remove app. I don't understand why they keep giving the same instructions over and over again don't they keep a record of who has their service and how they tried to fix it prior problems?

0 Kudos
Imemine
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Here's the latest email I got from Discovery Plus after I told him there was no way for me to remove the app so I can reinstall and I sent them a picture they still sent me this response. I kind of feel like they're treating me like an idiot. And Why would I need the Roku app when I have the Roku channel and I'm using a Roku device?

"Just to be sure that we are clear, you do not see "Remove channel" when you perform these steps?

1. Press the Home button  on your Roku remote.
  2. Select Streaming Channels to open the Channel Store.
  3. Locate the channel you wish to remove and click the OK button  on your remote.

• Tip: A checkmark appears in the bottom right-hand corner identifying an installed channel.
  4. Select Remove channel and confirm the selection when prompted.

If not, do you by chance have the Roku Mobile app?  I have been successful in completing tasks on the app than using the remote.  Please reply with your findings.  We are still working on these issues and we appreciate your patience."

0 Kudos
RichAlgeni
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I had the same problem, it had to do with buying Discovery+ from Roku, instead of Discovery+ itself. When Discovery+ version 1.2.3 was installed, there was no 'remove' option. When I updated Discovery+ to version 1.3.1, there remove option was there. Note that I did exactly the same as they are asking you to do. Discovery+ no longer crashed the Roku, but it still crashed the app, back to the Roku menu.

0 Kudos
Imemine
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have the new version 1.3.1 and there's still no remove option.

I also purchased Discovery plus through Roku and I'm not changing it. Discovery plus gives Roku a tiny percentage and I don't trust them to cancel if I decide to.

They want me to install the Roku app on my cell phone and go through there and uninstall the Discovery plus channel.

"One suggestion I can make to you would be to download the Roku app on your smartphone or tablet, sign into your Roku account using that app, and there you can easily remove any app from your Roku TV/device using that app. Then, you can reinstall the discovery+ app on your Roku device after uninstalling it using the steps previously provided."

This is absurd.

0 Kudos
Imemine
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I've tried to download the app on my smartphone which actually is a pretty cool app but I still can't remove Discovery plus because there's no remove choice. I don't know what to do anymore when I hit the Discovery channel on my smartphone it just opens it up on my TV set. There is no signing out of my Roku device at least that I can find. So when she tells me sign out of your Roku device and then sign back in I can't see where to do that. I think they're crazy

0 Kudos
Imemine
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Last information I got from Discovery plus was an email this a m wanted to know everything about my Roku which I've giving them three times. So now they're trying to blame it on Roku. This is when Roku should step in because I also have prime video and I watch peacock streaming and I watch Roku channel streaming and a few others and not one problem has arisen like I have with Discovery Plus. But I do have to admit that for $7 a month and no commercials I still am enjoying it whether it pauses for a few seconds or not. I know that's giving in a little but there's so much to watch on there and I just hate commercials and mainstream TV.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Imemine wrote:

Last information I got from Discovery plus was an email this a m wanted to know everything about my Roku which I've giving them three times. So now they're trying to blame it on Roku. This is when Roku should step in because I also have prime video and I watch peacock streaming and I watch Roku channel streaming and a few others and not one problem has arisen like I have with Discovery Plus. But I do have to admit that for $7 a month and no commercials I still am enjoying it whether it pauses for a few seconds or not. I know that's giving in a little but there's so much to watch on there and I just hate commercials and mainstream TV.

Just classic run-of-the-mill support blameshifting by Discovery+ - nothing for Roku to do here.

Just keep the focus on them fixing their app/service.

Meanwhile, if you have another streaming device, use that for Discovery+.

0 Kudos
Cj59

Jump to solution

I have the no ad version and it pauses frequently. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.