Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Discovery plus app keeps pausing

Jump to solution

@LuvJmm wrote:

Yeah, I have tried every suggestion out there, and mine keeps pausing randomly regardless, on some shows but not all. All on Discovery Plus through Roku though.

The fact is its a poorly coded app on Roku (for now).  Report/complain to Discovery+ about it (its their app):

https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If you have access to another streaming platform/device, use it for Discovery+ for the time being (this illustrates why it is good practice to have access to multiple streaming devices/platforms).  You can get a FireTV stick for $25-50.

0 Kudos
Miamiboyca

Jump to solution

Same thing, also happens on my android TV app

0 Kudos
Imemine
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Mind pauses after I purposely pause it for a while I'll come back it'll play for a minute then it'll pause for 20 seconds and come back. I have the no commercial one and it pauses occasionally throughout the shows lot better than it was with the update. What makes me upset is I'll be watching the show and it'll throw me out when it comes to the next episode and I have to start all over again. But it is a lot better with the update in my case. Much better than commercials any day.

0 Kudos
devona

Jump to solution

I followed the instructions to make the app stop pausing, but it's STILL doing it and I don't know how to make it stop.

0 Kudos
LuvJmm
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Same as the rest of us, but Roku says it’s Discovery Plus’s problem. However, recently, several Roku apps keep opening with the closed captioning on even though I didn’t put it on, and there’s a myriad of other problems happening, but Roku prefers to pass the buck or not respond at all. 

0 Kudos
Rjreiffer8640
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Having the same issue, hopefully fixed soon!

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@LuvJmm wrote:

Same as the rest of us, but Roku says it’s Discovery Plus’s problem. However, recently, several Roku apps keep opening with the closed captioning on even though I didn’t put it on, and there’s a myriad of other problems happening, but Roku prefers to pass the buck or not respond at all. 

The only bucks Roku is passing on to Discovery+ is from the Roku Pay-based subscriptions it acquires on behalf of Discovery+.

As already stated several times, Roku doesnt code or help code or underwrite or develop any portion of the Discovery+ app - thats all done by Discovery+, the entity you and others with issues with the Discovery+ service/app need to address your problems/complaints to.

If CC/subtitles is on in different apps, you need to make sure you have "Captions Mode" turned off:  Settings/Accessibility/Captions mode=off

And yes, Roku's customer service is abysmal, especially once they decided to use California's draconian COVID19 lockdown as a pretext to eliminate customer-initiated phone support.

Otherwise, if you want to contact Roku support:

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Agreed - 3 roku tvs - Discovery Plus is the only APP that pauses, only plays one episode and then turns my tvs off and back on EVERY time - puts me back to APP screen.  Please fix!  Also, would like to have the following options added to the APP:  new shows, new episodes, put my picks in order I’m watching them, and continue watching section.  So far, this streaming APP is the WORST 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Kellyjay111,

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.
If you are still unable to resolve the issue, you'll want to contact Discovery+ support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach their support team here: https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_index

Thanks,

Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LuvJmm
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks Mary, but we’ve already heard that suggestion and tried it and the problems persist with other apps as well. Why does closed captioning keep turning on in multiple apps without setting it to? Who’s going to take responsibility for the discovery app not working if discovery won’t? When is Roku going to do more than tell us to delete and reinstall? Why doesn’t Roku have a way to just update the apps without us having to go through all of that trouble, especially when it’s happening across multiple apps? We would all love those questions answered. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.