Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axman1

HLS Local Network Stream - View on Roku?

Jump to solution

I'm trying to figure out how I can view an HLS stream from an encoder on my local network of a security camera feed on the roku.  Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HLS Local Network Stream - View on Roku?

Jump to solution

Does your Roku device have a USB port?  You might be able to use Autostart.m3u in the root of the USB device combined with the Roku Media Player, but I've never tried it.

How to use Roku Media Player to play your videos, music and photos | Official Roku Support

It would be a trivial app to create, but I don't know of anything already in the Channel Store that will let you enter an HLS playlist URL, although I wouldn't be surprised if there is one.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
atc98092

Jump to solution

HLS is another acronym for AppleHTTP. Roku Media Player (RMP) can play an HLS stream, but it has to be coming from a DLNA server. Some DLNA servers, such as Serviio, can accept a live stream source and send it out via DLNA. If it could do it for your  camera stream without requiring a plug-in, I can't say. While I am the author of the Roku profiles included with Serviio, I'm not experienced with creating plug-ins for online sources. 

If your camera can be viewed on your network via a web browser, then it's likely that Serviio can stream it as a web resource without requiring a plug-in. 

If by some chance your camera is already streaming in the DLNA format, it will appear as a source automatically in RMP. If it doesn't, there's no way to manually configure RMP for it. RMP requires the DLNA format to find the content on your network. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
axman1

Jump to solution

I have the ability to do rtmp or anything in h.264 or h.265 format.  It really feels like there should be a simple way to make this happen

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

RMP will not recognize an RTMP stream. But many DLNA servers will. If you want to view your camera on a Roku device, it's going to require an intermediary server of some type to send it via DLNA.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Does your Roku device have a USB port?  You might be able to use Autostart.m3u in the root of the USB device combined with the Roku Media Player, but I've never tried it.

How to use Roku Media Player to play your videos, music and photos | Official Roku Support

It would be a trivial app to create, but I don't know of anything already in the Channel Store that will let you enter an HLS playlist URL, although I wouldn't be surprised if there is one.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos