Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Annoyed1001
Reel Rookie

HBOMax suddenly stopped working 08/08/2022

HBOMax suddenly stopped working on my Roku streaming stick plus. Endless white dots circulating on bottom of screen - can't get to any login. Deleted HBOMax channel, did a factory reset on the Roku, made sure my Roku software was up to date, logged out of HBOMax on my computer, logged out of all devices on HBO's website, and logged back in. Done everything. 

Roku, if you're going to sell subscriptions to Roku channels, you need to make sure they work. You just charged my credit card for something your device cannot provide access to. Work with HBO and get this fixed, don't your pawn customers off on HBO.

9 REPLIES 9
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: HBOMax suddenly stopped working 08/08/2022

@Annoyed1001

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that when troubleshooting channel playback issue, performing a factory reset should be a last resort.

Have you already tried removing the channel, restarting the Roku device, then adding the channel back again, specifically in that order to ensure a clean channel install?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Annoyed1001
Reel Rookie

Yep, all done several times in that order, hence the factory reset Hail Mary, which didn’t work either. There’s nothing left that I can do, other than watch on my computer while my subscription - bought through Roku- expires…

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

HBO Max is rolling out a major update to their mobile and desktop apps.   See: https://collider.com/hbo-max-updates-mobile-desktop-apps/

I don't know if it has hit Streaming Devices yet.  Maybe they screwed the latest release up.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
b_mcmahan

Aug 14 2022

Followed steps in misc "resolving channel issues" threads.  HBOMax launch results in error code -4.

Also tried factory reset, adding streaming service accounts after reset, then activating and signing into each account.  Still no dice.

Roku TV A113X

TCL model 55R635

Serial number X00300G41YXM

Software version 11.0.0, build 4193-88

HBO Max version 52.35, build 30

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @b_mcmahan

Thanks for your post. 

Does the issue only occur on HBO Max or all channels on your Roku device? If you are still unable to play videos from one channel after attempting the suggestions above mentioned by @RokuDanny-R, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

You can contact them here: HBO Max Support

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Wflood71

Hasn’t worked for months.  Always get code 4.  My Wi-Fi is excellent and no issues with other channels.  

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @Wflood71

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel and then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Keysy

Mine has also not worked for months...now it just goes to a black screen after the three circling dots. HBO says contact ROKU, ROKU says contact HBO...FRUSTRATION LEVEL HIGH!!!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @Keysy

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Does the issue only occur on HBO Max or across other channels installed on your Roku device? Have you tried the troubleshooting steps I posted above? If not, we recommend giving it a shot. 

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos