Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjmedich
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max transition to Max did not work for me, now I am permanently locked out

Jump to solution

Same here. Worked fine on my phone and laptop, though. I mean, gee, I guess Roku didn't know this was coming (D'uh!)

brutus9246
Channel Surfer

Re: HBO Max transition to Max did not work for me, now I am permanently locked out

Jump to solution

One more time? Highlight MAX and hit the * key and remove it again,  then add it back and try logging in again.  Who is the provider you pay through they may be having some problem connecting.  May want to logout and back in with your provider. I had to do it twice but I log in directly to HBOMAX and don't buy through a provider as they are actually more expensive most of the time

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Laselllynn,

Thanks for following up.

We appreciate your feedback and we’re sorry you're having trouble with the Max channel. We can understand how that may be frustrating.

If the issue still persists, you can check for a manual system update by navigating to Home > Settings > System > System update > Check now.

Note: When removing a channel, it's important that you make sure to restart your Roku device before adding the channel back again to ensure a clean channel install. 

We would recommend trying to see if that resolves your issue. Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @rjmedich,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about this issue and we want to perform a few steps to make sure we are providing the best service. We would like to ask you to attempt to try the steps we posted above to see if that resolves the issue.

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. 

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@rjmedich wrote:

Same here. Worked fine on my phone and laptop, though. I mean, gee, I guess Roku didn't know this was coming (D'uh!)

Roku doesn't develop the channels/apps for 3rd party providers such as HBO. This problem is completely on HBO and they are the only ones that can resolve the problem. Even if Roku wanted to fix it, they can't because they don't have access to the coding used to create the channel. Only the Max developers have access to the programming code. And because an app works on a different device means nothing. Roku uses a different programming language and operating system than your phone or laptop, so apples to oranges. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
rjmedich
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This solution worked. Shouldn't have to work this hard—it should be automatic.

0 Kudos
rjmedich
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This solution worked for me:

We understand that you are having an issue with Max (HBO Max) crashing to the home screen. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

We recommend performing the below steps and see if you can resolve the issue:

1. Remove the channel from the Roku device
  2. Power cycle the Roku device, by disconnecting it from the power cable and reconnecting the device back to the power
  3. Re-add the Max channel back to the Roku device
  4. If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply back to the thread for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
brutus9246
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I had no problem, just removed HBOMAX and then added MAX back and logged in with my Roku remote to my HBOMAX log in.  Everyone seems to have problems with ROKU not HBOMAX and getting the new MAX app. It's okay it's normal to point the finger over there.

0 Kudos
brutus9246
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Which solution worked?  The firesticks did this automatically just said update.  No logging in.

0 Kudos
Laselllynn
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Already did that and all the other suggestions. And I have it through my AT&T plan. It comes with the package and have no issues other than on Roku. It lets me sign in but goes back to the home page asking me to keep signing in. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.