Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
otter_sau

Re: HBO Max - Not Loading Black Screen 3 dots - Black Screen then Screen Saver

Jump to solution

Also facing the exact same issue with HBO Max. Logo shows up, then 3 dots for a sec and then a black screen that stays there forever. 

1. Cleared Cache

2. Reset to Factory Settings and re-installed everything

3. Uninstalled and installed back the app. 

Every other app works fine whereas HBO Max is not. Please advise exactly step-by-step how to fix. If you cannot please push an update to your software asap that fixes it

DeviceUser
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

After trying everything on the Interwebs: Background, clearing cache, removing and re-adding, restarting network, even changing resolution, I found our solution. The account PW had changed some time ago and it must not have liked it. We had to log into HBO Max from a computer and have it log off all devices. Once we opened the app after that we could sign in and it was fixed. What a pain.

Malv

Jump to solution

My brother is in a similar situation, but instead of the password being changed, he and his ex agreed to close the account.  Therefore, now there's no way to access the HBO Max account settings from a computer to force the Roku to logout because the HBO Max account is closed and doesn't exist.  Now that he has purchased his own subscription, he cannot get the Roku to prompt for login credentials.  While this may seem like an HBO Max issue, I believe it's a Roku issue, because the HBO Max app on other devices (mobile, console, FireTV, etc) will prompt for the new login credentials.  The Roku app just sits at a blank screen trying to use cached credentials that cannot be cleared.  We've removed the app, re-installed the app, and tried a factory reset.  Nothing works.  I'm wondering if he's going to need to create a new Roku account.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi  @Malv

Welcome to the Roku Community!

To ensure the process of removing and re-adding the HBO Max channel is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. from the Settings menu by navigating to  Settings > System > System restart > Restart. However, if it still has no dice and the issue is only with the channel alone, this is a good indication that there is likely an issue within that specific channel that will need to be addressed with an update from the channel publisher. Channels on Roku are created and maintained by each channel publisher. In this case, you'll want to reach out to HBO Max support directly to share your feedback.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
tmowhat
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That didn't work. I'm waiting for HBO to come up with a solution, they are working on it. I'll report back with a resolution in case anyone else has this problem. This is one recommendation they had for me and it didn't work. 

could you please try to force sign out:

1. Open the HBO Max mobile app or go to HBOMax.com.
  2. Choose your profile (upper right).
  3. Choose the Settings icon 

on your phone, or Settings on a computer.

4. Tap or scroll to Devices and then choose Manage Devices (if available).
    Only Adult profiles can manage devices.
  5. Here you'll find a list of devices that have used your account.
  6. To sign out of:
    • One device: Choose X (besides the device).
    • All devices: Choose Sign All Devices Out.

Note  Signing out of all devices can take up to 4 hours. If someone in your household is streaming something, they won't be signed out of HBO Max until the end of their show or movie. If you want, with your permission we can do the force sign-out on our end.

0 Kudos
Stardestroyer03
Reel Rookie

Re: [OS 11.5] HBO Max Channel Loads and Shows 3 Dots

Jump to solution
  • It only happens with HBO Max
  • We have done all the steps to remove the app. Including from memory of the app but unplugging the TV for 15 seconds after removing the app.
  • It's just a black screen when the app opens up and it is on the black screen for hours not changing. However when you place the TV into guest mode it works just fine which is weird.
0 Kudos
MaineO
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Same issue. Have tried all listed fixes even those posted about this same issue from 2 years ago. Restarted app deleted app. Everything. Just black screen and dots. Also my TV is stuck in headphone mode. Has been stuck like this for months. But I can’t hear anything if I plug headphones into tv. I had to download Roku remote app and play all sound through my phone. Please fix.

Model: C142X-Roku TV

serial number x00000268204 (s02y21168204)

software version: 11.5.0 build 4312-93

timestamp: 2023-3-19 T15:32:17Z

Please use Id 04-111-812 to report the issue 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Stardestroyer03 @MaineO,

Thanks for the post.

We're sorry to hear about the channel playback issue you are experiencing with HBO Max and thanks for letting us know what you've done to try to resolve this issue.

We want to make sure that we can get this resolved as soon as possible. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. When did this issue first start occurring?
  2. When removing a channel, have you made sure to restart your Roku device before adding the channel back again to ensure a clean channel install?
  3. Have you tried to remove the channel, update the Roku device by going to Settings > System > System update > Check now, restart your Roku device, and add back the channel.

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
MaineO
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes I’ve tried all three. 

Stardestroyer03
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It occured at the beginning of this year and yes I have tried everything you just mentioned. It doesn't work