Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dunedad
Reel Rookie

Express + skips app when first turned on

When I select an app/channel after turning on my express + it jumps from the app/channel selected to the app/channel next to it by itself.

It only does this the first time an app/channel is selected after turning on the TV/Roku. From that point on it works as normal until the TV/Roku is turned off for a bit and then is turned on again.

I have done the "soft reset" of the device but this didn't fix the issue. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Express + skips app when first turned on

Hi @Dunedad,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for raising this concern directly with us!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you had with the Roku remote. Please try to unplug both the Roku device and the TV for 1 to 2 minutes and then re-plug them back again.

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you further.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dunedad
Reel Rookie

Hi John,
I've unplugged the Roku and the TV as you have suggested. 
This didn't resolve the problem. 
Would you like me to send a video showing what Im experiencing? 
Dunedad1 (Lyman Y)
This is what is happening when I go to an app on the Roku home screen the first time after turning on the TV/Roku system (see attached video) I use the cross on the Roku factory remote and chose the right arrow on the cross to go from the home screen menu to the app. When it goes to the first app (prime video) it switches from the prime video app to the YouTube TV app by it self without any command input. It doesn't do this at any other time after the first time selecting an app. 
I have have tried another remote that I have for a different Roku express + and it is doing the same thing with that remote as well, this leads me to believe it's an issue with the Roku device. 
This is might seem like a minor issue but it is annoying and inconvenient at times. 
I have also attached a picture of the device information taken from the settings menu of this device. 

I copied this text from the email reply that I sent to John B (Community Moderator) from my Gmail account, I can't seem to figure out how to attach the video and picture in this form. 

Thank you for any advice/assistance you can give me with this issue. 
0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dunedad,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

We'd love to know more about this issue that you're having with your Roku Express+ since it was skipping on the channel tiles. May we know what the current software version of your Roku device is by going to settings, system, and about?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dunedad
Reel Rookie

I replied to the email that was sent from the Roku with an attached picture of the device info showing the device info. 
I don't know if the community moderator gets the email reply, or not since there isn't any way to attach a picture on the forums on the Roku site I'm giving the device info below. 

Model: Express+ 3931 RW
Software version : 12.5.5 - build 4174-AE
Serial Number: X004006M1KW5
Device ID: S01229AM1KW5

Also I should say that I have checked for software updates on the settings menu for this device and it says that I have the latest version of software. 
0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Dunedad,

Thanks for the update!

We'd like to know additional information about this. If you remove the batteries of the remote and use the Roku mobile app as a remote, do you also see the same behavior?

If you need help on how to use the mobile app, you can visit our support page here: How to use the Roku mobile app as a remote.

Please keep us posted!

Regard,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dunedad
Reel Rookie

I used the app remote on my cellphone as advised and the app changing by itself is not happening. I also tried another Roku express + remote and the app changing is not happening with that remote either.

What would be causeing this issue with only the one original remote? 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Dunedad,

Thanks for letting us know how things are going!

We'll proceed to take a closer look into this, and I sent you a PM for further assistance.

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.