Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quapaw

ESPN "Location Not Allowed"

Recently changed ISP and now get error message when attempting to open ESPN app on any Roku device. "Location Not Allowed. Access not available in your location." ESPN app will work on laptops, Android phones and Fire Sticks with new ISP. Roku/ESPN will work on a different ISP, proven by taking Roku device to my parents and connected to their internet. Roku/ESPN will work using my phone hotspot. Only combination of new ISP with any Roku (5 Roku devices in my home) will not work.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: ESPN "Location Not Allowed"

Hi @Quapaw,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are getting an error message of " Location not allowed " and we appreciate all the steps you've done to isolate the issue.

For more information about this channel's error messages and functionality, you'll want to contact the ESPN support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

You can reach them here: Streaming on ESPN – ESPN Fan Support

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely start with ESPN. Then try https://iplocation.net/ to see what they show. Enter your IPv4 address and it will return results from around 8 companies, with links to each, that you can follow to report incorrect location info.

You can also start over using your IPv6 address; luckily Roku isn't using IPv6, so errors there don't matter in this case.

0 Kudos
SleepinBrutey
Reel Rookie

I had the same issue, but I was able to do a live chat with a ESPN+ support agent.  Here's where I found the live chat:  https://help.espnplus.com/espnplus_hc?id=espn_contact_us

It took a while, but you need to ask them to update your location.  The agent asked for my zip code, made some changes, and it worked perfectly afterwards.  Hope this helps the next person who is searching for help on this issue with the ESPN App on Roku

0 Kudos
Greg2828

YES!. I just had the same issue and contacted help at ESPN+.  They refreshed my IP address and now I have access again.  This was very helpful as the help desk tried to have me delete and reinstall the app.  Power off the system for 2 minutes and a bunch of other items.  I cut and pasted your response and they fixed the issue immediately.  

SleepinBrutey
Reel Rookie

Awesome, I'm glad it worked for you!  I searched for hours, uninstalled my app, reset settings, read tons of forum posts, and then finally found a chat agent that knew what he was doing.  Wanted to make sure it was documented somewhere in case it could help someone else (or help me again when I will undoubtedly forget how to fix it!).

0 Kudos
Manduh24

I agree with the other user. I also contacted ESPN+ via the live chat option and asked them to override my location information. They will ask you to confirm your account first. Then they need your IP address and will provide you a link to ipchicken.com in order for you to retrieve that information. And lastly, they need your zip code. After a moment or two, they will be done correcting your account information and they will ask you to log out and back in to ESPN. Which doesn't make sense because I was unable to get into ESPN to login or out. So I just deleted and reinstalled the app on my Roku TV and was able to login immediately upon reinstallation. Hope this helps the next person! 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.