Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danstar
Reel Rookie

Does The Roku Channel work in Brazil?

Jump to solution

Hi. My friend who lives in Brazil has the Roku express that is sold in Brazil. 

He has a few channels that he pays for there including Brazilian HBO Max and Netflix and they work fine on his Roku express.

The Roku channel itself doesn't seem to work. It has the Live TV and It offers a lot of individual content and shows, but when he presses play on a show or selects something on live TV nothing happens. The shows just goes back to the play screen.

I'm not sure if it was always like that and neither is he (he has memory issue). 

Is it just that the content is blocked and not allowed to be played in Brazil?

Just curious since a lot channels do seem to work there including Tubi, Pluto TV and other general movie channels in addition to Brazil specific premium channels like HBO max etc.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does The Roku Channel work in Brazil?

Jump to solution

I don't think it's available in Brazil:

"Note: The Roku Channel is currently available in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom on Roku streaming devices, web, and mobile, and in Mexico on Roku streaming devices only. Premium Subscriptions on The Roku Channel are available in the United States, except on Samsung TVs and Amazon Fire TV devices."

How do I get The Roku® Channel? | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @danstar

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Channel availability on the Roku platform is determined by each channel provider themselves. Channels are only available in the locations where they choose to publish their channel (app). We don't currently market or sell devices directly in your region, so many channels/services may not currently be available. However, others such as YouTube and Netflix work in many locations.

For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region. 

We appreciate your contact, and we are always looking to expand our presence.

Regards,
Karla

danstar
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi. Thank you for your response.

Well in his country (Brazil) they do market and sell the Roku Express:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200902005329/en/Roku-Launches-Roku-Express-in-Brazil

And it works fine for the most part.

It is just the Roku channel itself (the Roku app) that seems to not play the shows it lists there.

Just not sure if it is due to these individual shows not allowing it to be shown in his region or if it is due to the roku channel acting up. For some reason I thought that he did watch a show on it once.

Maybe it was a show that was allowed. I think I will have him remove the Roku channel and restart device and then add back the Roku channel app to see if there is any difference. If not then I guess that content is not allowed in his location. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I don't think it's available in Brazil:

"Note: The Roku Channel is currently available in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom on Roku streaming devices, web, and mobile, and in Mexico on Roku streaming devices only. Premium Subscriptions on The Roku Channel are available in the United States, except on Samsung TVs and Amazon Fire TV devices."

How do I get The Roku® Channel? | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
danstar
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos