Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Suelue
Reel Rookie

Do I need a cable provider to activate The History Channel?

Jump to solution

I have been watching Oak Island on the history channel for several seasons. All of a sudden, it keeps “encountering an error” when I try to watch it. I only have internet, no cable TV provider.  I contacted my internet provider and they said the History channel isn’t part of my package. I have no idea what they are talking about since I have no cable package with them. My Roku device shows that the history channel is in my line up, and it’s free. I can watch every other show on the History channel, for free, except for Oak Island.  I can’t figure out how to contact Roku to kept them know this is happening.  Interestingly, the cable company was at my house the day before and replaced my modem and the outside cable. Then this “ error” started to occur. 

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Do I need a cable provider to activate The History Channel?

Jump to solution

Hello Suelue,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Please be aware that the History channel is an authenticated channel that requires a TV or cable subscription to access content on the channel. If you do not have a TV or cable subscription plan that allows you to access History, you will be unable to watch content on that channel.

We would recommend reaching out to History for more information about what TV or cable subscription plans allow access to their channel.

Regards,
Karla

View solution in original post

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the post @Suelue

For the issue you're experiencing with the History Channel, we recommend contacting their support team directly for more information and better insight into how their channel works on Roku. They'll be the best ones to help you out with that matter. 

Regards,
Karla

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Suelue-

I'd think twice about contacting History Channel about this.  They might figure out why you're able to access programming you're not supposed to and take it away.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

6 REPLIES 6
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello Suelue,

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Please be aware that the History channel is an authenticated channel that requires a TV or cable subscription to access content on the channel. If you do not have a TV or cable subscription plan that allows you to access History, you will be unable to watch content on that channel.

We would recommend reaching out to History for more information about what TV or cable subscription plans allow access to their channel.

Regards,
Karla

Suelue
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you Karla. I was unaware of that, since I’ve been watching it for a few years without one. Still puzzled about why I can watch all the other shows on History. 🤷🏻‍♀️

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for the post @Suelue

For the issue you're experiencing with the History Channel, we recommend contacting their support team directly for more information and better insight into how their channel works on Roku. They'll be the best ones to help you out with that matter. 

Regards,
Karla

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Suelue-

I'd think twice about contacting History Channel about this.  They might figure out why you're able to access programming you're not supposed to and take it away.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
goparrish

Jump to solution

Question: Can I access Roku channels like this with only a "basic" cable subscription or do I need a higher level/more channels cable package? Much obliged.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Generally you just need a package that includes the channel you are trying to use.  (ie: if the channel is being paid by your cable package, then they allow you to stream them as well.)

0 Kudos