Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chedrob
Reel Rookie

Re: Disney+ won't work with Roku 4K after May 30 2023?!!!????

Was there something in the Roku 4 model that the company neglected to include.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@chedrob wrote:

The question should be, why are all of the lower models, 2, 3, etc. working but not the Roku 4? It did cost more than the previous models.

Because the Roku 4 is a one off model. No other version of Roku ever used the same chipset, and it's the only 4K player that doesn't support any sort of HDR. The Roku 4 also had other issues that simply can't be resolved with a software update.

There's only a couple of older players that are still supported, and it would not surprise me if Roku drops support for them in the not too distant future. Those older players simply aren't as capable as the latest models, as good as they were at the time. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@chedrob wrote:

Was there something in the Roku 4 model that the company neglected to include.

Yes, HDR for one. It overheated, even though it was the only Roku player that ever had an internal fan. It's lacking memory compared to the newer devices. See my other post for more issues. 

Dan

0 Kudos
coco8

can I still use AirPlay with Roku 4K?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@coco8 wrote:

can I still use AirPlay with Roku 4?

To my knowledge that should still work. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Smk0810

There is no reason why Roku 4 should not support Disney plus or Hulu, since they have been working on that device for years now. Even if the apps are upgraded to more demanding content, the device should have the capability to downgrade just like my old Sharp 720p TV can display higher resolution content. Roku just wants more money!! I understand that, but still think they should at least have a trade in deal for a discounted new device.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Smk0810 wrote:

There is no reason why Roku 4 should not support Disney plus or Hulu, since they have been working on that device for years now. Even if the apps are upgraded to more demanding content, the device should have the capability to downgrade just like my old Sharp 720p TV can display higher resolution content. Roku just wants more money!! I understand that, but still think they should at least have a trade in deal for a discounted new device.

Roku did not drop support for Disney+/Hulu on the Roku 4, Disney made that decision. Roku did drop support for the Roku 4, and the reasons have already been explained in this thread. It doesn't support HDR, it is the only player using that specific chipset (which makes supporting it more difficult), and frankly it's far surpassed by every Roku 4K player available now by a significant amount, even players that cost less than half what the 4 sold for. The Roku Express 4K+ will run circles around your 4.

As to offering discounts on replacements, they did to that previously. I don't know if there are any current offers, but on your Roku home screen there's a menu that shows available offers tailored to you specifically. 

Dan

0 Kudos