Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nismo80
Channel Surfer

Re: Disney+ won't work with Roku 4K after May 30 2023?!!!????

Moving forward, I tried the Express. Well that's getting returned. Will only work using the TV USB. Tried an outlet with a previously bought Roku power block and it just cycles dancing Roku letters indefinitely.

Plus the remote has to see the block.

Roku 4 was perfect since it would turn my TV on by hitting any button. Old remote power button stopped working years ago. No interest in Apple+. But guess the 4 finally quit since it stopped pairing with the remote.

So I ordered another stick. Unfortunately it's back to $40. Even $10 off for having the 4 taken away would be decent goodwill since we have what, 5 rokus. Would be 7 but 2 now are obsolete. Oh well. 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

The basic Express is a VERY bad choice. Get the Express 4K+ if you want a standalone that is not a stick. It comes with the RF voice remote, so you don't have to aim. Even that basic Express should have come with it's own power supply, so I'm not sure why you tried to use another one. The USB on a TV does not supply enough power to run a Roku, which is why it kept rebooting. You can use any USB power brick that supplies 5V with at least 1A or more.

0 Kudos
nismo80
Channel Surfer

I tried the Express bc it was cheap when I wasn't expecting to buy another device anytime soon.

You misunderstood. I used a Roku power block I already had for outlet power and it would not work.

It's working now using TV USB, the only way it will work for me until the stick arrives.

Setup, worked immediately using USB. Realized it won't power the TV when it has no power itself. Tried outlet, infinite dancing letters. Reset it. Same problem. Won't boot. Back to USB and works fine. Just really miss voice searching and it powering the TV on when needed. 

I didn't want to pay extra for 4k since this is just a 1080p TV. But for the cost difference, I will enjoy the upgraded remote and ability to plug in the 4k stick. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

In a case like that, I would assume the power brick was supplying even less power than the TV.  That could be if some older Roku that the brick came with needed less power, or it is defective/hasn’t aged well.

0 Kudos
19JERRYZ

What it is is that these companies sale Chinese garbage they shouldn’t be even on the shelves all the products are designed to fail there’s no product made anymore by any companies that will last any significant time they want to go into the garbage fill up landfills With all this junk from them our landfills are over full because of it.

Watch the old episode of this old House were working on Thomas Edison‘s house the lightbulbs in his house we’re still glowing after over 100 years so you tell me you companies sell us junk I bought for $400 a Samsung DVD player had it for two years and it will no longer play Hulu or anything and it’s smart is a 4K companies need to take old product off the shelf and destroy them they should not should not be more than 2 to 3 years old and sold to consumers these products series tend to be already obsolete after three years so why these companies stickers with junk.

as well the pricing of items in the outrageous profit percentage is on items that cost under three dollars to manufacture such as sunglasses cell phones may be a little bit more in money I think it’s $15 to make a iPhone pro max tablets go for $2000 they cost $25 to make so think of it why do we buy all this Chinese junk and we can build it right here in the United States shut down all foreign companies that work United States do you feel are spying out of glue stick in it we will never buy your **bleep**.

only people that will are brainwashed from idiots

fair1
Reel Rookie

Yet Disney continues to support much OLDER Roku models than the 4400X !?!?  They just selectively pull out ONE Roku model to drop support!?!?!  Sounds like specific targeting of Roku customers which would involve collusion with Disney!

0 Kudos
fair1
Reel Rookie

" And once support stops, they will still work with the functionality they have at the time. "  Apparently NOT!!!  Have ZERO functionality of the Hulu and Disney+ app on my Roku 4400x!!!  Both Disney+ and Hulu STILL work on my Roku 3 and Roku 2's!!  Bull**bleep**!!

0 Kudos
fair1
Reel Rookie

Roku and Disney have decided to go with the Bed, Bath, & Beyond business model.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@fair1 You aren't listening. The 4400 is a one off player that uses a chipset that no other Roku uses. Since it's now approaching eight years old, Roku is dropping support for it. Yes, there are a few older devices that are still supported, but they all use the same chipset, so the programming effort is worthwhile for a bit longer. But those older ones are getting close to their end of life as well. My guess is no more than another year at most.

The 4400 is an anomaly for a 4K player, since it doesn't support any version of HDR processing. Since virtually all 4K content has some form of HDR, you get one of two things with the 4400: you either get a dull, washed out image without HDR, or the provider recognizes your player doesn't support HDR so it drops your image to 1080p instead of 2160p. So the 4400 doesn't provide a good 4K image when used with most online sources. Yes, you can find some non-HDR 4K content online, but mostly just on YouTube. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
chedrob
Reel Rookie

The question should be, why are all of the lower models, 2, 3, etc. working but not the Roku 4? It did cost more than the previous models.

0 Kudos