Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Disney plus Bundle - ESPN+ not working

Jump to solution

@LGSteve 

Thank you for the update.

We're glad to hear it got all sorted out so you can continue accessing your ESPN+ subscription on your Roku device. 

Feel free to reach out anytime you need help or you may visit our support website for additional troubleshooting resources.

We hope you continue to have a Happy Streaming! 💜

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Asellus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes. The connection error problem is for ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN3, and possibly other networks on the app (but those are the only ones I am aware of with issues). ESPN+ is not affected. I had filed a thread with Roku, and they have no fix other than to contact ESPN. I gave this thread information to ESPN yesterday, hoping they will fix that. Even if you purchase a cable/streaming provider subscription to watch ESPN3 through ESPN's Roku app, it will not work. I don't think there's any other way to watch ESPN3 matches other than through the ESPN app. You probably could watch just ESPN and ESPN2 footage through whatever live tv streaming provider's app you use, but I don't really know much about it or whether they have replays of the cable broadcast footage.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Issue-Tracking-Board/Contact-ESPN-ESPN-getting-quot-Connection-Error-q...

I am also trying to watch the US Open. I have been watching most of the important matches through their YouTube channel on my Roku. If you don't mind watching the matches a day or two later, they have been posting most of the important matches that are on ESPN3 there. It is the only way I have been able to see them because of this issue, as I do have ESPN3. I also personally emailed the US Open regarding this issue and asked them to post more matches for us. I included the thread information above. I hope this helps you a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/@usopen

ScotMac
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have both the Disney+ Bundle and a Dish Network account. I have reset, restarted , rebooted, uninstalled, unplugged, reinstalled, etc., and I can access ESPN on demand content for ONE PLAYBACK; after that, I have to go through the process ALL OVER AGAIN every time I want to watch any ESPN on demand content on my ROKU. I have also consulted a ROKU technical support advisor by chat and the suggested solution and end result are exactly the same - one playback followed by “Connection Error” on any subsequent attempt. What a drag!! I am tired of ROKU and ESPN assigning blame to one another, so I purchased an Onn 4k Pro Streaming Box from Walmart and I can now watch any and all ESPN on demand content I want whenever I want without fail. Goodbye, ROKU.

0 Kudos
Asellus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes. That happened to me after the reset, too, and I put it on the Issue Tracking thread I copied above. Also, it randomly loses connection to my internet provider and asks me to authenticate.

How is the channel/app selection on the Onn Box? Do they have a pretty good list of supported apps? I asked someone on recommendations for another streaming box on the tracking thread, and nobody had any recommendations. Functionally, how does it compare to Roku so far?

Thanks! 🙂

0 Kudos
Cg237

Jump to solution

I was having this same problem trying to view a live program. I have no cable, disney+ upgraded to bundle. 

With the bundle, we can only watxh things that are "espn +". There is other content that would require further subscription, much like additional subscriptions within Amazon prime video streaming.

0 Kudos
Asellus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes. That's correct. I have ESPN3 through my internet provider because I have AT&T. Some others might have ESPN3 through their internet provider.

People with cable/streaming provider subscriptions will have access to all regular ESPN channels, maybe more, depending on their tv package.

If you don't have any of these, and you just have the Disney Bundle, you will only have access to ESPN+, which doesn't currently have an issue on the app.

All the regular ESPN channels still have problems at this time for people like me who have access to some of them.

I am already authenticated, but sometimes when I am in the app, it loses the connection and asks me to reauthenticate when I click on anything ESPN3. So this is probably a different issue to yours.

0 Kudos
ScotMac
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We have really enjoyed the Onn 4k Pro Box so far, and we have had ZERO issues with playback on the ESPN app (or any other for that matter). It is a Google TV based streaming device. The 4k Pro has 32GB of storage, so you can load just about any app you want without expansion. I really like the remote as well - it has a locate feature that comes in handy in my home. We can also use the Dish Anywhere app with the Onn, which isn’t available on the ROKU.

Sapphiretears
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi! I have the disney bundle trio, with espn+ and was trying all night to watch Monday night football. Can watch it on an iPad, an iPhone, an android, and a Samsung TV. Not a Phillips Roku TV. Saying the same thing that's been said over and over on here. Must authenticate a TV credential or via HULU. But I bundle through disney. Is it worth my time to call anyone. Disney, roku, or ESPN?

0 Kudos
Asellus
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'm not sure on Roku TVs, but ESPN+ is working fine on my Roku streaming box. I just tried it.

Are you logged in with your MyDisney account on the tv? Sorry if I'm asking questions that are too basic. That's all that's required to watch ESPN +.

What's the name of the stream you're trying to watch? From most of my checking on the ESPN website, it seems that the majority of Monday Night Football is not on ESPN +, so I am unsure.

If it was on ESPN or ESPN2, then do you have a cable/streaming provider that you are trying to authenticate with? I don't know how you could have seen it otherwise on your other devices. In that case, you can try calling ESPN (not ESPN +) to let them know of the issue. I don't know if they will get it fixed, but it wouldn't hurt.

I am unsure if maybe this authentication issue might have started because they were trying to fix the connection error issue. You could try chatting with ESPN support like I did, and link this thread. It might give you more ammunition that other people also have problems. Sorry if I am off base here with my response, and none of this helped you.

Here is a link that will get you to the ESPN chatbot (bottom right corner of webpage) if you choose to do a chat with ESPN. They should be able to connect you to an ESPN rep.

https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us/sections/115000951192-Authenticate-Sign-In

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Asellus I agree with @Asellus that Monday Night Football is not available on ESPN +.  It is on ESPN and I believe also ESPN2.  To stream Monday Night Football on the ESPN app you need a TV provider that carries ESPN.  ESPN + is working find on my TCL Roku TV.  To use ESPN + you just need to login with your MyDisney account.  

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.