Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JRP86
Channel Surfer

Disney plus Bundle - ESPN+ not working

I upgraded to Disney’s bundle (Disney+ with Hulu, and ESPN+.  The new bundle works perfectly on all of my non-Roku devices and smart TVs, but not on my Roku TV or even the Roku IOS app.  I can access Disney+ with Hulu without a problem, but ESPN+ is supported separately and I can not get it working on Roku.  The normal ESPN channel “partially” works, but the ESPN+ content requires me to “activate” my account.  I try to do this and it requires a cable provider (not required on any of my other devices).  I go to ESPN.com/activate and choose Spectrum, because I have a basic spectrum account for cable (but Spectrum has nothing to do with my bundle purchase from Disney).  The screen on my iPhone says “Success” after I enter in the code from the Roku screen.  Then I get a message that says, “Media not allowed.  Access to this program is not included in your Spectrum TV subscription.”  In a way, no surprise since I didn’t get the bundle thru Spectrum.  

There is apparently no way to avoid the process of linking to a cable provider on Roku.  It seems like Roku just doesn’t support Disney with ESPN+, since I have no trouble setting up ESPN+ on my Samsung smart TV or my Sony smart TV (or my iPad/iPhone).  

Is anyone else having this problem on Roku?  Is there a workaround solution?  If no workaround, is anyone aware when Roku will be adding full support for this bundle?  Roku support was useless.  Disney/ESPN wasn’t much help either, but in their defense, their service works everywhere else and this does appear to be limited to Roku (I had the same issue on Roku.com with the channel, so not specific to my Roku TV). 

Thanks in advance…

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Disney plus Bundle - ESPN+ not working

Content from both ESPN and ESPN+ is accessed via the ESPN channel app.

ESPN content requires a subscription to a "tv provider" account on a system that carries ESPN, typically cable or satellite. This is how you prove you are paying for ESPN. You must sign in with your tv provider credentials to authenticate this subscription. You may occasionally need to reauthenticate to prove your subscription is still active.

ESPN+ content is marked with an ESPN+ ribbon on a corner of the program selection tile and requires a separate paid ESPN+ subscription (stand alone or part of a Disney bundle). To view this content you must have logged into your ESPN+ account using your ESPN+ or Disney credentials. You can then view ESPN+ content even if you have no ESPN tv provider account.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
JRP86
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the response and information.  My problem is that I don’t seem to be able to authenticate my ESPN+ account on my Roku TV.  It works flawlessly on my other non-Roku devices.  For example, I have a Sony Bravia smart TV and I have “installed” the ESPN+ app on it (simple process of selecting it from the App Store).  I can then sign in and I get access to all my the ESPN+ content.

On my Roku, there apparently is no ESPN+ app, so I tried to use the ESPN app (which does mention support for ESPN+ in the description in the channel store).  Once installed, I can open ESPN, but when I attempt to view a game (in my case an NCAA baseball game), the app says I need to authenticate.  I follow the steps and I am forced to select a cable company (a step not required on my other devices).  At this point, I selected Spectrum, since I actually do have a basic Spectrum cable account.  I get a nice message from ESPN on my iPhone (authentication device used) that says, that says “ESPN Activation - Success.” Then, on my Roku TV, it says “Media Not Allow…” and something about not being included in my Spectrum account.  Roku support was useless, Disney/ESPN wasn’t much better (but, in fairness to Disney, their system works on every other device I have (2 smart TVs, and my iPad and iPhone).  

Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JRP86,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with the ESPN+ channel. We're happy to assist you further. Please try to update the channel by highlighting the channel tile, pressing the star button on your Roku remote, and selecting check for updates.

Let us know how it works.

Best regards,                                                                                                                                      John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JRP86
Channel Surfer

I tried checking for updates.  Also, deleting and reinstalling the channel.  No change.  The problem has something to do with the ESPN app requiring a cable provider.  

A cable provider is NOT required for the Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle…and it is not required on other non-Roku devices.  Roku and Disney need to work together to address this.  I would say it’s a Disney problem, but since it is unique to Roku, IMHO Roku should take the lead on getting this fixed.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I do appreciate the effort and time…just very frustrating since this is a Roku TV, so it’s not like I can just revert to the smart TV features for this and use my Roku for everything else. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

ESPN+ is working fine on my sharp roku tv and my westinghouse roku TV. I never had any issues with logging into ESPN+.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JRP86,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

After attempting the troubleshooting steps and videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developers themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

If you need anything else, please keep us posted.

Best regards,                                                                                                                                      John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JRP86
Channel Surfer

That’s great to hear, but a couple of questions…

Do you have the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ Bundle? 

Do you have a cable provider?  I do not, and this appears to be required on my Roku, but not on my iPad or Sony smart TV.  

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

open ESPN on your Roku device click ok on the gear icon in the upper right of your screen. select subscriptions. you will see manage your account. use your remote control to enter your espn accounts email address and password.

0 Kudos
JRP86
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the suggestion.  I followed your instructions and when I selected Subscriptions, it already shows “Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+… Subscribed.”  

Account information shows my correct email for the Disney Bundle, but it also wants a TV Provider.  I choose Charter Spectrum, since I have cell phone service with them…and selecting nothing is not an option.  I went thru the activation process and achieved “Success” with ESPN, but then I get the same error “Media Not Allowed” something about this not being allow with my Spectrum account.  

0 Kudos