Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forsterite

Could not Figure out How to show Photos on Roku

I could not figure out how to display photos from my phone on the Roku device using the Roku app when I tried on 2023-01-20 using the current version of the app (version dated 2022-12-20). Had done this before, so this was quite frustrating.

Looks like this is something that should be part of the "Play on Roku" feature that has been around since at least 2012?  There is an article ( https://support.roku.com/article/208755108#! ) dated 2022-11-03 that indicates that this is a current feature, but again, could not figure out how to access "Play on Roku" or similar functionality.

There was some third party app workaround I tried, which partially worked, but was making my phone really hot, so probably had some other issue.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Could not Figure out How to show Photos on Roku

"Play on Roku" was removed because it was being abused by scammers.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
forsterite

Re: Could not Figure out How to show Photos on Roku

Sad if true. If Play on Roku is no longer available, it should be reflected in the current official documentation. Main thing is the functionality.

Seems like a pretty basic feature  Maybe make this functionality available through some other official method? This was a feature when it bought it for my parents.

I tried a third party app (Roku Cast) which did partially work but must have had some sort of issue, because my phone got HOT, so immediately uninstalled it. Seems like this should be part of the basic Roku app.

0 Kudos