Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Itthappens
Reel Rookie

Completely done with roku

Completely fed up and dissatisfied with roku tvs. I've had to get 3 different tvs within a year because for whatever reason the screen magically goes black and can't fix itself.  Company is truly a disgrace and doesn't help anyone just has them replace the tvs. @support1 

10 REPLIES 10
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Completely done with roku

Unless these are actually the new Roku-branded TV's, the physical TV is built by other companies like TCL and similar. They are responsible for any hardware failures. Roku just supplies the software.

0 Kudos
pdmcmanus30
Channel Surfer

Totally agree. I'm done with Roku. I'll just use apps directly. I threw my roku in the trash this morning after slamming it on the floor into several pieces. DONE WITH ROKU.

pdmcmanus30
Channel Surfer

BTW, my TV is an Android TV, a SONY XBR-43X800D. It's not the TV. It's the ROKU. The remote is a problem and ROKU needs to fix their product. I have a LAN connection to the TV and use 1GB Google fiber. No problems. And I can set up apps through the DirecTV Stream app.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

The OP is about Roku TVs, though. 

I continue to think that player/media devices like streaming devices, blu-ray players, etc. are best left as separate devices that can be easily swapped out instead of being built into TVs which are large and relatively expensive to change.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Itthappens
Reel Rookie

They were branded as roku tvs. Last time I tried to get a tcl roku TV to try a different model and IT DID THE SAME THING THE ROKU TVS DID.  I clicked on an app and the screen just went black.  I'm truly done!

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

The vast majority of things labeled “Roku TV” are sold by TV companies like TCL, Hisense, Westinghouse etc.  “Roku TV” in that sense is just a new buzzword like “Color TV”, or “High Definition TV”.  Most of the companies selling Roku TVs, in my opinion are second/third/fourth tier TV companies, but your opinion may vary.

Roku did just recently come out with their own line of Roku-brand Roku TVs.  Maybe they’ll turn out to be OK, but they haven’t been around nearly long enough for me to trust them.  After I see some 10-year reports, that may change.

Until then, I’m happy with my $30 Roku Express hooked to my 16-year-old Samsung TV.

Banned but back. Because why not?
pdmcmanus30
Channel Surfer

This is what I suggest you do to your ROKU device.20240115_114835.jpg

0 Kudos
pdmcmanus30
Channel Surfer

Completely untrue. Roku damaged my Samsung UN70NU6900FXZA. The TV was off when all of a sudden it began flashing erratically. The remote was unresponsive. I had to physically unplug the roku device from the TV to make it stop. By that time, it had damaged the bottom half of the LED screen. If roku is designed for use on only certain TVs, it should be advertised as such. Never had a DirectTV Stream box or cable box to damage any TV I have ever owned. ROKU - you have a design flaw, especially with your remotes. FIX IT!

0 Kudos
pdmcmanus30
Channel Surfer

Last post was in response to Andy Ross, ROKU GURU. 

RE: Completely done with roku

Unless these are actually the new Roku-branded TV's, the physical TV is built by other companies lie TCL and similar . . . .

0 Kudos