Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcasella-sc-rr-
Binge Watcher

Closed captioning will not stay

Closed captioning will not stay on on all tv's.  Reset to stay on but it does not stay on.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Captions not staying on English

Hi @mcasella-sc-rr- 

Thank for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us more about your concern? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels installed on your Roku device? Also, when you said that the closed captioning will not stay on on all TV's, do you mean that it happens on multiple Roku TVs/devices? 

Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
mzdetail

I have the same issue. I have to turn on captions before watching every episode. It's very annoying if I forget; I have to go back to Home, turn them on, then try to get back to the show where I left off. This makes me wish your Resume worked better, too.

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @mzdetail 

Thanks for the post.

As previously mentioned above, can you tell us what channel you're experiencing the issue with? Have you checked that the closed captions are enabled both within the Roku device settings, as well as the channel itself?

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Viggo12001

Closed Captioning not working

The closed captioning isn’t working on Roku. I’ve restarted twice, checked Accessibility and unplugged for 2 minutes. On other devices, when I check the channels and episodes, it works, so definitely Roku.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Closed Captioning not working

Hi @Viggo12001

Thanks for reaching out here in Roku Community.

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with closed captioning on your Roku device. We'd like to know more about this issue you are facing. Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? Which channels and specific episodes are you having trouble with when it comes to closed captioning? Have you checked the settings for closed captioning on your Roku device?
To help troubleshoot the issue further, follow this link: How to enable closed captioning

Keep us posted on what you find out. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
mishely1
Binge Watcher

Re: Using Roku TV, closed captioning keeps turning "always on" on when set to "on mut

I am experiencing a similar issue with the captions.  I choose to have my setting on "Always On" for the captions.  Since aquiring my Roku, the setting will revert back to "Captions Off" randomly.  This occurs over all apps, and does not coincide with updates.  This definitely needs attention and remedied by Roku.

John2438

Kariza Please stop with this silly question.  It is clear that this happens on multiple channels.  Why do tech support people always try to imply that the customers are too stupid to know the difference between it happens accross the board or it is only affecting a single application.  I set the captions mode for "on always" and it works for whichever application I am using, I then go away for an hour or two, return, open a different application and the captions are not on thus requiring me to exit and go through the set to "always on" again.  This happens repeatedly accross the entire platform.  I realize some applications have their own captions settings and I use those when I can.  This is a recent phenomenon which leads me to believe that the problem is on the Roku programming side.  Can you help us, the users, or not?

RCBurl
Reel Rookie

For me, the Roku Ultra device setting, which is "on always" for captions, does not not stay "on always." The channel, streaming service, or other programming device is irrelevant. The Roku Ultra "on always" for captions fails to stay "on always." Does that answer your question?

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @RCBurl

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

Please note that most channels and apps contain their own settings and will override the settings in Roku menus. Check inside each channel's individual settings and disable/enable captions in each. Some channels have their own captions settings that are separate from the system settings. Some channel manages their own content programming, including closed captions and subtitles on content. Reach out to the channel If changing the captions on the Roku settings does not resolve the issue.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: Turning closed captions on or off 

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos