Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TipnRing
Reel Rookie

Re: Closed Captions get turned off

Jump to solution

Amazing thread, but lack of response from Roku is deafening!

0 Kudos
dwmc2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have changed the setting for closed captions to Always On so many times and it is very frustrating.  I know I'm not the only one.  I have tried all the "solutions" and nothing has helped.  

dwmc2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This happens on all channels and when we have been watching and when we just begin watching in the evening.   SOMETIMES, we can use the * to check for closed captions and sometimes it tells us about channels, but not closed captions.  We were watching Prime recently and kept checking and it would tell us only one channel was available (nothing about captioning) and then we tried stopping the movie and going to settings and closed captions were set to OFF.  When turned to Always On AGAIN, the movie continued with captions.

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @dwmc2,

We appreciate you reaching out to us regarding your closed captioning concern.

In addition to making sure the closed captions are set to "always on" in your Roku device, we would recommend making sure that the channel itself has the settings set to be toggled on, as each channel may have its own settings. Some channels may affect the closed captioning of the device itself, regardless of whether you have enabled closed captioning on your device.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best regards,

Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TipnRing
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I came to this thread looking for solutions.

My closed-captions get turned on mysteriously. I commented that after all these posts "the lack of response is deafening". Time will tell...

0 Kudos
dwmc2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We use channels: Roku, PurFlix, Hallmark Movies Now, Prime, and very few others.  I have tested each of these to see if changing channels caused the Roku setting to change, and they did not.  When the problem occurs, we check the Roku Settings Accessibility and it has been changed to OFF.  We turn that back on (dozens of times) and captions appear - regardless of the channel.  

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings @TipnRing, @dwmc2,

Thanks for keeping the Roku Community posted!

We appreciate the additional details about this, and we'd like to take a closer look into it.

To better understand the problem. Could you please elaborate on what the steps are to reproduce the issue? When did you see the behavior occur? What are the troubleshooting steps you've taken so far to resolve this?

With more detailed information, we'll be able to understand and see what we can do about this. Thanks!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dwmc2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

All my attempts to force the problem to happen have failed.  Switching back and forth to the channels we use did not make it happen.    The problem (Closed Captions: OFF when we have repeatedly set them to ALWAYS ON) happens randomly as far as we can tell.  One night, everything is ok.  The next night, they are mysteriously off.  

0 Kudos
RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @TipnRing ,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku community! 

We value your contact with us regarding your issue with closed captioning.

We advise making sure the channel has the settings set to be toggled on, as each channel may have its own settings; in addition, the closed captions are set to "always on" in your Roku device. Regardless of whether you have closed captioning turned on for your device, some channels may impact it.
Please keep us posted. We're here to assist.

Thanks,

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This has been corrected on the Kanopy app about a month, so it must be something within each (channel) app.  

0 Kudos