Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wildsprite
Roku Guru

Re: CLOC Screensaver freezing on screen & missing weather info

@renojim @renojim2 I'm not sure anymore which of you two is the developer of CLOC but if you could reply and let us know if you intend to continue development of it or not would be really nice. I think it is fair to ask for your input on it.

if you still intend to do so that is great, if not that's a bit sad but I think we will get over it.

maybe we could get a reply this time from the man himself rather than the people following this just assuming he gave up please?

bellsfolly83
Binge Watcher

Re: CLOC Screensaver is no longer available on Roku

Dashcoop may not be to your liking, but it certainly isn't garbage.  I think the developer has done a very good job with the app.  Like everyone else here, I was a huge fan of CLOC...but when it went away, I cast around looking for some suitable replacement.  Dashcoop has fit the bill for me.

0 Kudos
mrdctaylor
Binge Watcher

Re: CLOC Screensaver is no longer available on Roku

I agree.  I've also been using Dashcoop and it is fine.  It was worth the one-time purchase price.

0 Kudos
junkmail
Binge Watcher

Re: CLOC Screensaver freezing on screen & missing weather info

Roku platform requirements are constantly evolving. It is a moving target. Even things that are working today may not work in the near future as Roku keeps updating and changing the requirements for screensavers. Haystack News puts up a news screensaver when you stop interacting. They now say that screensaver is being phased out by Roku updated. 

My solution was to put a weather monitoring device up on my roof. For $100 I can always see the current temperature, humidity, rain gauge, wind speed, barometric pressure, etc. Now if I could make it show up on my TV screen I would have the best of all worlds

0 Kudos
DoctorQuality
Channel Surfer

Just let this thread drop ... and stop insulting RenoJim.

I find it rather impolite, some of the things that have been recently said on this thread, about RenoJim's handling of this CLOC matter. And I wasn't terribly impressed by the 'nagging' that had been going on in the past either.

RenoJim once said that he would have to re-write the CLOC app from scratch for it to work as a non-private channel …when Roku did away with private channels. And one reason that he had to resort to a private channel in the first place was, he once said, because Roku was taking forever to approve the constant changes he was having to make to keep the app running on the non-private channel (I presume that, in part, that had to do with having to keep the list of weather servers current, something that shouldn't have required much delay in Roku approval at all). And then, eventually, Roku removed/sunset-ed support for the coding that they USED to support on non-private channels (hence why RenoJim would have to re-write it from scratch to make it run non-private.) He also said he had developed a lot of other private channels to work around Roku issues and that all of those were shut down, yanked by Roku, as well. Given all that, not exactly surprising RenoJim didn't want to invest any more time in app development for Roku, not knowing what might they do next.

(I also think that all of it says that Roku doesn't gives a hoot about supporting 'independent' channel development anymore; that Roku is now all about supporting only the apps that major content-creators can pay to write and constantly keep current to whatever Roku's ToS, SDK, etc. happen to be at the moment.)

Also, RenoJim never said he WOULD fix it, he said he would 'probably get around' to it, that 'it still might be a while,' 'no promises,' and so forth. Personally, I started reading all that as him trying to be polite, knowing that he likely was not going to be investing any more time in it … or any Roku apps. Especially given that Roku kept changing things up and creating a lot of work for him … and that Roku was likely to continue to do so. And even with all that, I noticed that RenoJim still is willing to support Roku users in other ways, such as responding to general questions on other threads.

So I say just please let go of this topic, let this thread drop. Yeah, I miss it but CLOC is not coming back. RenoJim was generous enough to write the app in the first place and provide it free-of-charge, he never promised to bring it back or make it a top priority to do so. It's now quite plain that, love it or hate it, the only options going forward are Dashcoop or the vanilla clock option that Roku offers. And that's just the way it is.

You cannot blame RenoJim for not being willing to re-write the CLOC app yet again, what with the way Roku has handled its business about its channels -- swapping out toolkits, sunsetting existing code, far too slow turnaround times on approving code changes and all that.

If you want to dish some blame or some hate, I say aim it at Roku. Roku should have this type of spot-on, user-focused app on-tap. It could have used RenoJim's CLOC app as inspiration for devoting a bit of its coder time toward improvement of its no-color, no-weather, no-options, bare-bones clock app. Instead of maintaining its horrid 'animated skyscraper with the little Easter eggs' screensaver … that would drive most people crazy to have to watch all day long. Heck, I can't even make Roku's USB reader app work properly; I have to use my TV's USB port and it's built-in app to pull content through my USBs. And why was it taking forever for Roku to approve minor code changes to the non-private CLOC app in the first place? The REAL problem here is Roku, that it can't be bothered to devote any of its vast resources to properly maintain/resolve these types of matters. It's too busy chasing the big Benjamins to smooth out even the smallest of its dangling rough edges.

In any case … time to drop this topic … and to stop hounding RenoJim.

wildsprite
Roku Guru

Re: Just let this thread drop ... and stop insulting RenoJim.

The whole point of my last post was to try to get him to respond one way or another so we could all have closure. it wasn't to hound him. it was to give him an in or an out.I didn't expect half the community to respond after I posted. @DoctorQuality I honestly think if anything your post is an insult to him and the community at large.

JWBlys
Channel Surfer

Yeah, let's let it drop.  Oh wait, this reply keeps it going!  😉

0 Kudos
JWBlys
Channel Surfer

Agreed.

0 Kudos