Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bellsfolly83
Binge Watcher

Channel access | CLOC screensaver removal

Hello Jim,

First off, THANK YOU for the brilliant CLOC screensaver!  We've thoroughly enjoyed having it these past few years, not the least of which for the weather information. And yes, we have your Private version.

Which leads me to my question:  I've read that all Private "channels" on Roku will be deleted in Feb 2022, if and only "approved" channels, using Roku's toolkit(?) will be available.

With that in mind, is there any good news that CLOC will still be available beyond next month?

Thanks in advance for your...time (sorry, couldn't resist:)

Mark

147 REPLIES 147
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I will probably get around to finally fixing the public Channel Store version to meet Roku's new criteria.  The private one will definitely go away.  I'm toying with the idea of making it a 99 cent subscription.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
bellsfolly83
Binge Watcher

That would be great, I would hate to lose it.  That green bundle of information "ponging" around our tv screen has become a mainstay!  I for one would be more than happy to pay a subscription.  I'm guessing you are talking about a 99 cent/month.  I would hope that if you do add the subscription price, you would also consider allowing a 'lifetime' option. 

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but do you have other Roku channels?

meebzorp
Streaming Star

Here's my 2¢ Jim...

I really hope you get the public screensaver up to Roku's new criteria. I'm a very long-time user and would hate to see it go.

Go ahead and charge a small subscription price to make it worth your while. Hey, you've got my $.99. Smiley LOL

Thanks!

Larry

So how do they get Teflon to stick to the pan?
renojim

@bellsfolly83, most of my other channels are games:

Blackjack
Double Draw Solo Poker
Maj Jongg
Video Poker

I also was the developer for Radio Paradise

I was the original developer for SomaFM, but I turned it over to another developer a while ago.  It's still one of my favorite music channels.

I've developed a slew of private channels for myself, friends, and family and I'm pretty upset that they're going away.

mrdctaylor
Binge Watcher

I've loved this screen saver for years and have used the private version for quite a while.  I understand wanting to charge a subscription and while I don't mind paying for a quality product like yours, I *hate* the subscription model.  I'd much rather pay a larger around ($4.99?) up front.  I understand *why* developers like the subscription model, but speaking for myself I don't think I would ever pay for a product of this type using this model.  I don't do it on my iphone and I wouldn't do it on my Roku.  Good luck and thanks for the years of usage of a GREAT product. And as I said I don't mind paying for it....I just hate getting into monthly obligations like that.

bellsfolly83
Binge Watcher

That's cool.  Soma FM is one of my favorite music channels, especially at Christmastime.  Will check out Radio Paradise.

Yes, it's a complete bummer that the private channels are going away.  Especially for people like yourself who have invested so much time and effort into them.  As I understand it, it was the 'after hours' stuff that was the final straw, although that had been going on for many years.

RandyBski
Channel Surfer

Cloc screen saver not displaying weather info

I have using the private version of the cloc screen saver because in addition to the time it also displayed the current weather. Well today that screen saver disappeared.  I went back to the channel store version of cloc. This version allows me to configure for display of the current weather but, when the screen saver is active only the time is displayed.

This is the reason why I went to the private version in the first place.

Can this be fixed.

renojim

Re: Cloc screen saver not displaying weather info

It could be if I'd get off my lazy **bleep** and did it.  Smiley Happy

I'll move it to the top of my todo list, but it still might be a while.

-JT

DBDukes

Re: Cloc screen saver not displaying weather info

@RandyBski 

The old Roku Private Channels, AKA non-certified apps, are being sunset as it. If the developer releases a version with weather, then it will be available, but failing that, it won't be available as a private app.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos