Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jabman025

Re: Closed caption shows up in German instead of English while watching Star Trek

same thing is happening to me, I try to watch star trek next gen on my roku it's default audio setting is German, other devices have no such issue

0 Kudos
cpscofield

Re: Captions not staying on English on Paramount+

This also happening on Star Trek Voyager despite setting the CC language to English.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for continuing to share what you're observing.

Our team has continued investigating the issue and is hoping to have a further resolution soon. In the meantime, please help us with the required details below so we can send additional information for the investigation to our engineering team:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

We appreciate your patience while we investigated this issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ZenMasterChip
Streaming Star

I can't believe I'm still getting reminders from people having problems with this... So far it seems everyone who does a factory reset gets the problem fixed.  I just want to make a plug. Yes, until we develop a hack free operating system and code we will still get (so far) minor hacks from time to time.  So, the benefit of having a factory reset which downloads the latest versions, starts the system from scratch will still be the best option to try first.  Thank goodness we don't have to do this to our computer operating systems (knock on wood).  It is a small thing to do a factory reset on Roku... the system is DESIGNED to make getting you back in with all your apps restored an easy process... logging in and authenticating the apps is easy.  You just use your phone, scan the code, and viola!  You're in.  It took me less than 5 minutes and although it did not get rid of the problem on the first day the problem was reported, I didn't have to do a factory reset again, the problem was fixed a couple of days later.

Now, the problem seems to be fixed "as long as you do a factory reset".  I just wish people would actually read the posts others have made and the solution offered by MANY of us before deciding to post and gripe about Roku.  Seriously, a little kindness goes a long way....  who would you want to help?  Someone who appreciates your help; or someone who gripes without even trying but just runs on about how horrible you are?  

Do the factory reset... you probably have more than one issue with the system... and let me just end with this.  All computer electronics are susceptible to stray cosmic particles, and good ole SOL has been particularly active lately with the solar winds... and yes, this CAN corrupt your system.  Learn to fix it... with computers this can be hard... But, with Roku, a factory reset is sometimes a necessity!  Just do it!  You'll be happier, and have a better experience... Not all problems are your or their fault...  Yeah, Stray cosmic particles.... the particularly energetic ones... can strike any memory location... the ONLY fix will be a factory reset.... Just do it!

Very sincerely yours,
A happy but concerned customer who likes to help people HELP themselves!
Chip aka Cyberchipz  aka ZenMasterChip 😎

PS Steps to do a FACTORY RESET

1 In the menu go to System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset <click>

2 After your Roku resets... remove the battery cover, and pair the remote with your Roku

3. Follow the prompts to get back the apps that were not automatically installed (most will be)... and then

4. Click on the aps you use to authenticate and log into the app.

6. Repeat #4# for each app you want to use... (not all will need this.

7. Sit back, relax and enjoy a show!

0 Kudos
joremero

Re: Closed caption shows up in German instead of English while watching Star Trek

Interestingly, I only have this problem in a single roku device (a premier roku). I have other rokus, inluding ultra 2021 and ultra lt and those don't have this issue. I can manually switch to english, but sometimes when I do that, the video freezes and audio continues, which obviously is horrible and unusable...i'm going to have to do the factory reset I guess. Thanks for the tip/details

0 Kudos
ZenMasterChip
Streaming Star

Re: ROKU Audio track for one show and some (CC) not respected Paramount Plus ONLY

The problem cleared after factory resets and a few days of both Roku and Paramount looking into the problem, which also fixed other issues for many other people, mine had only this one prior to reset.   Both of my devices are now working properly and have been for over two weeks now.  

The factory reset was easy and apparently the restoration of my apps and accounts were designed to flow smoothly for existing accounts.  Most re-authentications for existing accounts consisted of a scannable QR code which took me directly to the page needed to authenticate my account with each app and used existing Roku information from the device to facilitate a quick recovery of most apps, my personal account, settings and preferences and required no further action on my part other than to sit back, relax and watch a show.  Kudos for Roku for a user friendly environment that even after the factory reset had me up and going in a matter of minutes.  Literally, no more than 5 minutes to get me back up and where I was before the factory reset... minus issues.  

My experience with the bug/hack reported was that hundreds of people were experiencing the problem. We all found a central Topic that expressed generally the problem that everyone was having.  One show, but (cc) and the main audio language was affected.  For each of us, the factory reset worked, and after a few days, it worked without waiting for Roku and Paramount because the issue was fixed. It was a great community experience, many others including myself responded to other users to help them through the process of the factory reset.  Altogether it was a great experience and having been one of the first to have the issue, I was able to receive both communication from Roku community and Paramount Plus via email and appreciate the coordinated effort by both Roku and Paramount support!  Kudos to you both.

0 Kudos
daiwuff

Same issue!! Both Star Trek and DS9. It used to not be like this, then all of a sudden German became the default subtitle track and I have to change it EVERY episode.

0 Kudos
Janarhae

We're watching The Good Fight on Paramount+, and the captions are in Danish (dansk) by default.  It's easy enough to link to Accessibility options in order to change captioning track to English, but it's kind of a nuisance.  We haven't had this captioning problem with other Paramount+ shows -- yet.  

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for continuing to share what you're observing.

Our team has continued investigating the issue and is hoping to have a resolution soon. We'll get back to you once we have an update available I'll be sure to let the Community know.

We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ZenMasterChip
Streaming Star

I'm not with Roku or Paramount; but, I can tell you what worked for other people including me.  First, I think that whoever is doing this hack is only hitting people once, it almost seems random. Probably to avoid detection... I can tell you they're still working on it.  But, I believe unless they accidentally pull up your IP address again, a factory reset should fix your problem.  I found I had to do it each of my Roku devices, but at least one other person said it only affected one of their devices.

The factory reset is located in the system/power settings... yes, it will wipe your machine but Roku dies a good job of getting you back up and running... Just have your cell phone and scan the QR codes and log into your account on the phone to re-activate the app on the Roku, it will be easy.  You might have to add some of the apps back in manually, but many of them will automatically load up after you do the factory reset.  Also, if you've never done this, immediately after doing a factory reset you will have to pair your controller to your Roku device... that's pretty easy if you know how... just remove the battery cover on the remote, and when the Roku asks you do do it, click the little button behind the battery cover to pair the  remote to the Roku, then follow the steps to get back up and running... it only took me about 5 minutes, and so far this has worked for everyone...  Good luck, and sorry you got hit with this hack too!

I think there are also instructions in the other people's replies, I think I did this too; so, read them and you should see them there if this message gets lost in the jumble of other people also getting hit with this! Merry Christmas and have a great New Year! 🙂
Chip
PS I can tell you that both Roku and Paramount are still working on this! 🙂  If you want to help send a message to them both and let them know the Model and Serial number of your Roku devices that have been affected... Some devices don't seem to be affected, and other types like Android TV are so far not affected either... I have some of each! Also not affecting the computer's browser access to Paramount +, and it's also usually only one show... probably one you're watching a lot right now! 🙂

0 Kudos