Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZenMasterChip
Streaming Star

Re: Closed caption shows up in German instead of English while watching Star Trek

Sorry to hear about this... I had this problem too... and I've already replied to several people... Here's one link I replied to earlier....  read through these... I have instruction to do a factory reset, that's the only thing that seems to work for everyone... They're still looking into this.... but on the link here <=click me.  

I have submitted the very easy instructions for a factory reset and how to get back up and running in about 5 minutes... or more if you have a lot of apps you use... Good luck and hope you have a Merry Christmas, and a better new year... once you do this you're, so far, unlikely to get hit with the hack again! 
Both Roku and Paramount are working on it! 🙂

Chip

0 Kudos
ZenMasterChip
Streaming Star

Re: Closed caption shows up in German instead of English while watching Star Trek

It seems to be fly by hits, random viewers, probably just polling IP addresses looking for Roku devices and getting to them that way...  Since the first time I was hit with this, so far... lucky and have not had the problem since I did a factory reset...  Now, I can't say that immediately after it happened, so the person probably holds onto the IP addresses for a day or so before moving on to the next victims.   Good luck and thanks for keeping us posted on progress... Have a Merry Christmas and an even better New Year...  I haven't heard from Paramount lately about this... so tech department might want to contact Paramount and ask them about it.  I have but haven't lately...  Ironically I told them my issue was resolved with a factory reset.
Seems to only hit Paramount Plus on Roku and only one channel...  I don't envy you all trying to find the source and reason for this... I understand the issue, that's a tough one... I would swear they're hitting the streams... it's a true fly by... so, it may require Paramount to mod their initial starting stream for all shows.  Since it's not just relegated to Star Trek, but it is related to Paramount shows! 😕

Chip

0 Kudos
Huesos35
Reel Rookie

I am also dealing with this issue for the second time in a few months (Hawaii Five 0). Rokus inability to fix this issue is annoying and will no longer buy/recommend their products anymore.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Huesos35

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
ZenMasterChip
Streaming Star

First, I don't work for either Roku or Paramount.  I can understand your frustration; however, if you ever have to determine the source of a low grade exploit like this, which is probably taking advantage of injecting the code into the data stream on the internet and is NOT originating from Roku or Paramount, then you would appreciate the difficulty in finding and fixing the problem.  I get a notification from Roku every week letting me know that they're continuing to work on this issue; but, the problem is probably occurring somewhere on the internet itself and not at your house, Roku's business or Paramount's business... so, sure... don't buy their products anymore, or take 5 minutes and fix it, until the next time.  I've been fortunate, I fixed the issue once, and it's hasn't come back.  All it takes is a factory reset, and Roku's devices are clever when you have to do this, the device knows most of your sites you're watching and with that and a cell phone, it literally only takes my 5 minutes to fix the issue. 

No harm is done to your device, and it could be an indication of weak security on your home internet connection.  So, perhaps the reason it hasn't been fixed yet, is that the hacker is taking advantage of a weakness in your home internet security.  I've beefed up mine, maybe you should look into that, just in case.  And I say that only to give you an idea of the scope of the problem.  The weakness could literally be anywhere, and may not even be intentional.   For example, a stray cosmic particle hits the bit stream and alters a bit on your language choice causing your system to think you prefer one language or another.  It just happens to be German in your case, others have had similar issues but with other languages.  It varies.   Just saying.  It's probably not a stray particle, but it could be.  BTW, if you figure out where it's coming from, let us know. 🙂

0 Kudos
Huesos35
Reel Rookie

I am not here to argue the cause, all I know is that the product is not working as advertised. Unfortunately resetting/rebooting the device does not fix the issue on my end (I wish it did).

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hi @Huesos35

We'd like to know more about how we can help!

Please provide the requested information posted above by @RokuLianna that would be helpful for our team in further investigating this problem.

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Huesos35
Reel Rookie

Hi Karla. Thanks,  I submitted all the info by email to the support team. Didn’t want to post some of that info on an open forum.

0 Kudos
ZenMasterChip
Streaming Star

Well then you are truly unique. There were hundreds of people who had the same problem, and a reboot (not reset) took care of their problem.   Be sure to supply Roku with the information needed about your Roku device to help them monitor it and track down the problem.  I would also check your home security to ensure you don't have any security holes.  I like the Netgear Nighthawk; it includes NETGEAR Armor, which protects all connected devices from virus, malware, and data theft, and includes guest WiFi access, DoS, Firewall, VPN, etc.

0 Kudos