Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dcusick
Reel Rookie

Cannot add Beta channel I am developing

I am developing a Roku channel and I currently have it set as a beta app.  I can side-load it to my device no issues, and I created and uploaded the package.  However, when I try to add the channel to my account with the vanity code, nothing happens.  I put my code in, I check off that I'm not a robot and hit "Add Channel".  The page blinks, but nothing happens.  I opened up Developer Tools and I see the following error in the console (Note: For privacy, I replaced the actual vanity code in the error below with the placeholder {myvanitycode})...  

api/v1/channels/accessCode/{myvanitycode}:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()

I created the channel a week ago, so I can't see why it wouldn't be available yet.  I have tried in 3 different browsers on my computer, as well as on my phone.  Same exact behavior every time.  I tried changing my vanity code as well, and it still doesn't work.  When I changed the vanity code, the new code returns the same 404 error, and the old code now returns a 500 error.  I also tried adding a new channel that I know exists through the website, and it worked as expected.

Any ideas on how I can fix this issue?

4 REPLIES 4
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Re: Cannot add Beta channel I am developing

@dcusick very cool. Is making a channel challenging. Does Roku have to approve it? What’s your channel gonna be about?

0 Kudos
dcusick
Reel Rookie

@Dfresh567  I'm a computer programmer by day and a high-school soccer coach by late afternoon. Not too challenging at all.  Even for non-programmers, their Developer walk-throughs and sample projects would be pretty easy to follow.  During Beta testing, you can load the channel directly on to your device, and you can also give a Vanity Code out to a select number of testers, which will allow them to install your channel without going through the store.  When you're ready to publish your channel in the store, you need to upload it to Roku for final approval, after which they will add it to the store.

My channel is for for my fun job, coaching.  I want to be able to use it to try to engage our teams better.  Want to make it easy for them to watch the games that we record, since being able to review the games that you play is the absolute best teaching tool you can provide!

Click on your your account icon and go to the Developers option to review what it takes, if you're interested.

By the way, my nick-name growing up was D-Fresh...  😁

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@dcusick-

You've posted to a forum for Roku users, where few, if any, will be able to help. The Developers forums are a couple of doors down the hall: https://community.roku.com/t5/Developers/ct-p/channel-developers

Did you create your channel app using the Roku Direct Publisher tool?  I do know Roku is discontinuing Direct Publisher support in January 2024.  Since July 12, no new channels are being accepted via Direct Publisher and developers are being given six months to convert their current apps to the Scenegraph system which replaces Direct Publisher before all Direct Publisher apps will be taken down in January.

Roku Direct Publisher sunset announcement:  https://blog.roku.com/developer/rdp-sunset

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

@dcusick that you so a ton for breaking down the process. I in fact also work at a HS in student support services. Basically il a counselor in a therapeutic program. I love Roku products and my mind is thinking of how I could potentially design a Channel for the program. The school and program was the first in the country but there’s over 300 programs that follow this model. I feel like there maybe a way to develop something cool.

it’s seems doable as you explained. I’m gonna mess around and see how far I can get

0 Kudos