Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pomperipossa
Reel Rookie

Can't Turn Off Subtitles and It's Stuck in Another Language

I'm on a PC, so I have no clue what to do or what I'm doing. Tried to watch The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011) from the Topic Channel. It says English is its original audiotrack, so when I go to play it it's in Swedish or something and the subtitles won't turn off. I have the English audiotrack selected and closed captions are off, but it's still the same thing. 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Can't Turn Off Subtitles and It's Stuck in Another Language

Hello @Pomperipossa

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

Please check if Captioning is set to “off” on the Roku main page under Settings > Accessibility > Captions Mode > OFF.

Please note that most channels and apps contain their own settings and will override the settings in Roku menus. Check inside each channel's individual settings and disable captions in each. Some channels have their own captions settings that are separate from the system settings. Some channel manages their own content programming, including closed captions and subtitles on content. Reach out to the channel If changing the captions on the Roku settings does not resolve the issue.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: Turning closed captions on or off 

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Pomperipossa
Reel Rookie

Where is the whole "Settings > Accessibility" thing? How do I check channel settings? I was reading about that but couldn't find it.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Pomperipossa 

Are you watching the Topic Channel on your PC or on a Roku device/RokuTV?  Also, are you watching Topic on the Roku Channel, or are you watching on the Topic website?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Pomperipossa
Reel Rookie

On the Roku Channel (Topic on Roku) on PC.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Pomperipossa 

You should be able to just mouse over the Audio and Captioning icon in lower right of your screen to change the language for both the audio track and the subtitles.  Alternatively, you can also pause the video which should bring this same menu overlay if you are watching in fullscreen. (see image below)

The Settings mentioned by @RokuKarla are for Roku devices and only applicable to them.

I don't have Topic, so below image is just general content playing in the online Roku Channel (laptop/PC).  If after changing the Audio track to English and still hearing a foreign language, then likely something wrong with the movie.  Same goes if subtitles refuse to turn off.  (I did check for the Girl with Dragon Tatoo on Topic and is showing English for Audio and Subtitles. - occassionally there are errors and the wrong audio will play or be unavailable).

click on image to enlarge.

Dummy_lsbroadwater.png

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos