Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrodents
Channel Surfer

CTV App provided an Activation Code, but website link provided does not work

Jump to solution

Have CTV app on ROKU all 3 different devices I have are the same.  When I try to login, it opens a screen with and provides a access code to say  activate the device at ctv.ca/activate . 

This website does not exist, it takes you to a page to login with a cable credential. I use an antenna and have no login to use. CTV website  does not cover this issue and the contact us page is service unavailable.

Had this conversation with a TSN rep as the TSN app only worked on two of my Roku's. They also would not provide help?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: CTV App provided an Activation Code, but website link provided does not work

Jump to solution

Hi @keithgriffth,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'm glad you reached out to us for assistance. In regards to channel authentication, it's best to contact the channel's support team for further guidance. Most channels on Roku are managed directly by their providers, so they would be the experts in resolving any authentication issues you may be experiencing.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. We're always here to help.

Best regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: CTV App provided an Activation Code, but website link provided does not work

Jump to solution

Yes, for many cable-related streaming apps, that’s what you do.  You get an activation code, go to their activation site, give the code, and log in with your TV provider.  Since you are paying through your provider, they let you stream with their app.  Not paying anyone? Well then the app is usually useless or limited.

0 Kudos
mrodents
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

problem is it does not give a proper link to enter the activation code . Have lots of apps that do this, go to the page enter the code. CTV problem, no where to enter code, no way to contact ctv.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@mrodents, the link is working as designed.  You won't get to the page where you enter the code until you validate using a cable TV provider.  If you don't have cable then you won't be able to use the CTV channel/app.  Sorry.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
mrodents
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

CTV should then have a note to this affect on the Activate page, or at very least have a place to contact them concerning this. I chatted with BELL for a  (TSN) issue and they could not figure out why the page did not show up to enter the code either.

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Well, they have this contact page linked from their front page:

ctv.ca/contact

but that comes up as pretty much blank for me, which suggests that they don't want a lot of contact! 😀 

Then again, perhaps if you go to that page, after you log in with your provider, then you get more.  In other words I can't tell if their web site is broken or they only want to talk to paying customers.  Both explanations seem quite plausible. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Actually the website link is working exactly the way CTV intends it to work.

CTV provides content for streaming to those who are paying for it via a paid subscription to a "tv provider" such as cable or satellite.   Without such a paid tv provider account, you aren't paying for CTV. 

That's why the CTV login takes you to a page to indicate your tv provider, and from there to a page where you provide your tv provider login credentials to prove you have an account there.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Jetprop8
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I agree it's pretty useless even if you have a cable provider, which I am seriously thinking of dropping.  I find it ridiculous that I am paying cogeco cable for TV channels, then I have to log in thru that cable provider to access the CTV app. (Same for Global and others). What's the point of watching TV on the internet when you have to have an account with cable TV? Doesn't make sense. Cable is going to die soon enough, why make internet users have to pay for it? CTV app doesn't work on my desktop or my TV with my Roku Stick and I've tried a lot to make it work.

0 Kudos
Jetprop8
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Same problems with CTV app here too. April 3, 2023 and it's still not working even when you login with a Cable TV provider.  It's useless and ROKU should not carry these poorly designed apps. Even the show I want to watch (its 7 seasons) doesn't allow me to save where i was, it goes back to Series 1, Episode 1, ever time. How ridiculous is that? And I refuse to have to login to my service provider every time I just want to watch a show on my TV through ROKU. It should save my settings, save my acct name, save my PIN or give me a code, that I don't have to go thru this nonsense every time.

0 Kudos
Jetprop8
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

CTV app sucks. Period. Lots of complaints.

0 Kudos