Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rosarita1976
Reel Rookie

CBC gem not loading episode and can’t navigate in app

Jump to solution

I have 2 issues with CBC Gem. When I open it on my Roku TV, the menu at the top disappears and pressing the buttons on my remote does nothing. The only way it will work is if I go back to the Roku Home Screen then open CBC Gem again.

The other problem I have is that if I open an episode to continue watching, after all the ads, it just has the spinning circle as if it’s loading, but nothing plays.

I’ve uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, but it didn’t work.

Is there a way to fix this? The only way I can watch anything is on my iPad or my phone.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobJL

Re: CBC gem not loading episode and can’t navigate in app

Jump to solution

When clicking on the CBC Gem app , quickly push the down button a couple of times on the Roku remote. This will prevent screen lock up and then the bar at the top will return and things will work normally. This will prevent you retrying the app a second time.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Rosarita1976-

After removing a channel, best practice is to restart** your Roku to clear its memory cache BEFORE reinstalling the channel. Without the restart you may not get a clean reinstall.

Depending on your Roku model number you'll find the "System restart" option under either "Settings > System > Power" or under "Settings > System". If you don't have sufficient control to use the menus, or if it is just more convenient, you can also restart by pulling the power plug for a short while, then plugging it back in.

**On a Roku TV with "Fast TV Start" enabled, turning the TV off/on only puts you in/out of a low power standby state, it does NOT give you a complete restart. Use the methods above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Rosarita1976
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I did a system restart as recommended, and it didn’t work. When I open the cbc gem app the first time after turning on my tv, the top menu disappears and I can’t navigate down to click on the episode I want to continue. It only works if I go back to the home screen on my tv then click on the app to open it again.

KW7

Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem. I have contacted CBC but have heard nothing from them. There have been a series of issues since CBC switched to Gem, so I fear a system compatibility issue that CBC and Roku need to work together to resolve. 

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Rosarita1976,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we're sorry to hear that you've been having this trouble with playing content on the CBC Gem channel. We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far.

Just to confirm, are all other streaming channels playing content normally? Does this happen on all episodes/shows in CBC Gem or just specific titles?

One additional suggestion we would like for you to try is you check for a manual system update.

Instructions to manually update your software:
1. Navigate to Settings
2. Select System
3. Select System update
4. Select Check now

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How do I resolve channel playback issues? | Official Roku Support Canada

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @KW7,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are facing an issue with the CBC Gem channel and we would be happy to look further into this issue but we will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Do you observe this behavior while using any other channel(s) on your device?
  • Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
  • Have you tried removing the channel you observed this issue on from the Roku home screen? Then, restart your device. Once it loads up again, add the channel back once more and try playing content again. 
  • Have you tried the suggested solution that was previously posted by @makaiguy?

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Im having the exact same problem. I open the app nothing works and then i close it open it back up and it works. 

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Danielpatrick,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

Have you tried removing the affected channel and then reinstalling it? In some cases, that resolves the issue. Make sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
    • Note: If you remove a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before seeing the Remove Channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.
  2. Restart your Roku device: If reaching the power cord to unplug your Roku device is inconvenient, you can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > PowerSystem Restart > Restart. (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Reinstall the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.
    • Note: If you add a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must re-subscribe.

For more references on how to troubleshoot any channel playback issues, you can visit our Support page.

Please keep us posted regarding the behavior you are experiencing, and we will be more than happy to continue assisting you further.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dominic_Mtl
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am having the EXACT same problem. It has nothing to do with resetting my Roku or deleting/reinstalling the app. I've done it many times and the problem persists. 

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @Dominic_Mtl,

Thanks for the post,

We're sorry to hear about the inconvenience caused due to the issues you are facing with the CBC Gem channel. As we have already performed troubleshooting steps and verified that your Roku device is up to date and all other channels are functioning properly, we recommend that you directly contact the channel publisher for further assistance. Please inform them about the troubleshooting steps you have already taken with us.

Feel free to review our recommended steps for resolving channel-related playback issues here: How to resolve a channel playback issue

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos