Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve704
Streaming Star

Re: BBC iplayer fault code 02056

Hi Hector,

It's great you have sent the last email inparticular to the BBC.  I hope you get a reply from them, I haven't had any meaningful reply myself...its not good enough. That said Roku don't appear to reply either, even the moderator on this forum a day or so ago didn't respond to my question (as of today). As you know my 3920-EU is working OK at the moment following the factory reset it correctly installed 4193-91 code and ran Iplayer without issue. I do think both the BBC and Roku could provide better support ...... some one has ownership of the problem for sure ..... it is extremely disappointing for people like yourself who are still struggling primarily for lack of technical feedback. 😕 

ianc2020
Streaming Star

Hopes dashed.

Today (21 Jul) I checked for system update and there were two, Unfortunately after the update both iplayer and the duff 3810EU stick still show the same version numbers and suffix as previously I did a restart after the update before checking iplayer  - it still wont play content. I assume some other channels must have been updated.

0 Kudos
Daveren13
Binge Watcher

I also checked and an update ran but did not affect the software version or build - remains 11.0.0 and 4193-50 on my 3810EU

To be 100% sure I did a full factory reset…and…hello 02056 😞

‘supercharging the fun factor’ apparently did nothing

now the joy of logging everything else back in

Not impressed with roku's attitude over this issue.

Having same issue as everyone else.

Expensive Bluetooth version of Roku errors on BBC iPlayer, yet cheapie version of Roku is working just fine.

0 Kudos

is this still a probolam as mine that I got a few days ago has the same error and I just got it for iplayer

0 Kudos
Steamboats52
Channel Surfer

Still not working on mine, despite several more attempts at updates, restarts etc.

0 Kudos
Steve704
Streaming Star

While a few people (including myself) now have working Iplayer, which seemed to be the result of a mixture of a Roku fix/update and then a subsequent manual factory reset, this certainly doesn't work for everyone for reasons that are not apparent. (There are clearly several models or batches of models affected and some of them have been targeted with a Roku update though the actual build number seems to vary, in some instances the revised new build date is shown and in others it isn't.....very strange. Unfortunately the BBC have gone totally silent on the issue...... the website continues to say under investigation,  but clearly there is little priority assigned to the issue. All I can suggest is to pass on the relevant details of your particular model and current software build to the BBC by reporting the issue via their website reporting form or using 'live chat', but don't expect a quick response..... support is currently very poor on all fronts.

0 Kudos
HectorG12
Binge Watcher

I received a further email from Roku ‘Support’ yesterday, somewhat unhelpfully pointing out “We would like to let you know that the BBC iplayer is only available in the UK territories of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.”

I managed to politely reply, suggesting they might like to actually read my earlier 4 emails which were all visible in the email chain! Then received a further message, seeking further information, all of which they already had, except for the ‘Issue ID’.

My reply is in italics between their questions. Photo not attached here. At least they now acknowledge that the matter requires further investigation:

Thank you for your response. We regret the inconvenience.

This reported issue requires further investigation. Please help us with the required details below for us to send the case for investigation to our engineering team and will update you with a positive response.

As previously stated from the start of the original email chain, I have 2 identical Roku Streaming Stick + devices, both with the same Roku software and the same version of BBC i-Player.

Both worked fine until just over 2 weeks ago when BBC i-Player stopped working, with Error Code 02056 on just one of them though all other apps still work perfectly on both devices.

Everyone else affected by this noticed the problem around the same time. I note today on the Roku forum that someone has this error on a brand new Roku stick purchased just a few days ago.

Updating/re-installing and even doing a factory reset makes no difference.

The AFFECTED ONE has Serial No. YH001R699208 and ID E43971699208

The UNAFFECTED ONE has Serial N0. YH00AX593489 and ID 23399A593489

1. Software version and build (Navigate to Settings>System>System update)

(Both Devices) Software Version 11.0.0 Build 4193 (specifically 4193-50 via system info)

2. Issue ID (Press the Home button 5 times and back button 5 time on the Roku remote quickly to get the issue ID)

Issue ID 08-293-494

(The one that is fine has Issue ID 89-293-488)

3. Last checked: (Navigate to Settings>System>System update)

(Both devices) 23 July

4. Last updated: (Navigate to Settings>System>System update)

19 July (was 14 May prior to factory reset, performed to see if it might help)

(The last update for the one that is fine remains as 14 May)

5. Channel version: Highlight the channel and press the " * " button

(Both Devices) Version 1.0   Build 91000032   Application Version 26.24.12.0

(The ‘Application Version’ is via the i-Player app System Information)

6. Does the issue occur on only this channel, multiple channels, or all channels?:

BBC i-player only and ONLY on the device with serial number YH001R699208

7. Does this occur during TV show/movie playback, during Ads, etc.?:

App opens normally, can see all programmes and the ‘continue watching’ options etc but on trying to play anything (including live TV) an error message with code 02056 immediately appears.

This happens EVERY time.

8. Specific movie or TV show (season & episode) example that the issue occurs on:

Everything on BBC i-Player on the device with serial number YH001R699208

9. If possible video and/or picture of issue:

Photo of the error message attached.

Thank you for choosing Roku. Take care and have a great day!

Steve704
Streaming Star

Hi Hector G12,

Your last post is excellent and actually very interesting and informative - thank you. The information is detailed and concise. Infact I would like to suggest that others still with the 02056 problem may want to use your post almost as a template to convey the full information package 'albeit customised obviously' to Roku and the BBC.  In this way each company will be fully equipped to best investigate and hopefully gain a better understanding and come up with a technical solution. One other point that comes to mind mainly for members of this forum who still have an ongoing problem, but may be in the future also; What is the best way/s to communicate with the Roku support team? A week or 2 ago I tried to contact Roku but got absolutely no response.... so I guess others may have the same problem which is obviously less than helpful to everyone.

0 Kudos
HectorG12
Binge Watcher

Hi Steve,

You asked, “What is the best way/s to communicate with the Roku support team?”

I’m beginning to think maybe in person with a squad of big guys wielding baseball bats, but I used https://support.roku.com/en-gb/

At the bottom of the page, under ‘Agent Support’ click on ‘Check support options’ then ‘Questions about setup or using my Roku’ then ‘Roku Streaming Stick +’ then ‘Solving playback issues’ then ‘Need more help’ then ‘Email’ (rather than ‘chat’ or ‘call’) as although responses will be slower, it uses less personal time and you have a record of what was said. That opens a form where you have 1000 characters to describe the problem. Replies are via standard email to the address you provided on the form.