Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cheesefish
Channel Surfer

Re: BBC iPlayer bug causing freezer on iPlayer start

For the record, I did the uninstall / reinstall of iPlayer as advised.

The problem is still present though, but it seems to happen less often now.

Symptoms - video goes slightly out of sync with audio, then video crashes freeze frame, subtitles and audio continue ok.

Seems to happen on average once every 60 mins of viewing.

Guess it is an iPlayer issue then. Hope they fix it soon.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the update, @Bobbijo29.

Could you tell us how you are powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Keep us posted with the detail.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
cheesefish
Channel Surfer

I have 2 Roku devices, both show the same behaviour.

One is plugged into a mains to USB power adapter.

The other is using a spare USB port on a PVR.

I'll try changing the second of these to use a mains to USB adapter to see if that makes a difference, but the other one is already powered properly and showing the same symptoms.

I'll report back.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @cheesefish

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
We're here to help. Does the issue only occur on the BBC iPlayer channel or all channels on your Roku device? When removing a channel, make sure to restart your Roku device before adding the channel back again to ensure a clean channel install. We suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > System restart.

Additionally, using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Keep us posted with what you find out.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
cheesefish
Channel Surfer

Reporting back as promised.

I have removed and re-added the iPlayer channel exactly as instructed. I have also powered both Roku from separate power adapters.

The problem remains.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@cheesefish

Thanks for the follow up.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Geoff4822

Yes I have exactly this issue. I have 2 rokus on 400mbps internet in Hereford and 1 on 30mbps in Essex. The Essex one works fine and the 2 in Hereford are hopeless on iPlayer. All the other services work great. Another reason to cancel your TV licence.

0 Kudos