Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retty
Reel Rookie

BBC iPlayer bug causing freezer on iPlayer start

For the past few days iPlayer has been freezing and then crash exiting after a minute or so to the Roku home screen.

Uninstalling/reinstalling fixes the problem temporarily. Restarting Roku fixes the problem temporarily.

It seems to be a BBC iPlayer bug but I'm not sure if it's Roku version specific.

Is anyone else having this problem?

16 REPLIES 16
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer bug causing freezer on iPlayer start

Hello @Retty

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Did you restart your Roku device before reinstalling the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > reinstall), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know if that will make a difference.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
cheesefish
Channel Surfer

My two Roku 3930X have worked brilliantly for 1.5 years with BBC iplayer. In the last couple of months most catchup programmes crash half way through (sometimes sooner). Usually subtitles and audio continue. The video looses lipsync first and then crashes.

Curiously it only seems to affect stand alone catch up programmes. "Watch from start" delayed live streaming never seems to crash, even if I watch it for many hours.

I'm sensing a bug, but is it iPlayer or Roku? Any ideas?

I'll try the unistall / reinstall channel as mentioned here first.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @cheesefish

Thanks for the post.

Have you checked the other channels installed on your Roku to see if the same issue will occur? Also, how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet?

Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
cheesefish
Channel Surfer

Hi Kariza,

It doesn't seem to affect other channels installed on the Roku. Note it doesn't seem to affect live streaming or delayed live streaming in iplayer either.

Power is from an external mains to usb power adaper.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@cheesefish

I apologize for the delay in response.

If the issue persists from one channel after attempting the suggestions above, videos from other channels play fine, contact the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. 

Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

You can reach them here: iPlayer help and FAQs

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Retty
Reel Rookie

Thank you.

Uninstalling and reinstalling after a restart fixes the problem for a while. After the Roku has been on for an hour or so, the problem reoccurs.

I'm guessing that there's a bug in the iPlayer application. It looks like a memory leak. After a minute of freezing the application quits to the Roku menu screen.

0 Kudos
Bobbijo29
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same problem I think, ill b watching a movie & it will freeze or just go to roku home screen, or the roku will just power its self off idk whats going on or how to fix?? 

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @Bobbijo29

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

As @RokuKariza-D  mentioned, we would recommend removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to BBC directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the BBC channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.

You can reach them here 

Best regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Bobbijo29
Reel Rookie

Its doing it on all the channels I have, discovery+, hulu& paramount+- (its the worse), all my channels freeze up

0 Kudos