Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hodge7
Reel Rookie

BBC Iplayer buffering all the time

Hello. 

I can see a load of threads re iplayer but no solutions so here we are.

I have two Roku Express boxes that were working fine until I changed ISP.

My new router is great for everything else, over 100mpbs, Roku works fine for every other app, but I have constant buffering issues with iplayer. 

I've deleted and re-added the apps, factory reset both boxes, factory reset the router, no change.

The router runs 2.5ghz and 5ghz at the same time - should I switch one off?

Before I get rid and buy two Chromecasts is there anything else I can do?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: BBC Iplayer buffering all the time

Hi  @Hodge7

Welcome to the Roku Community!

To ensure the process of removing and re-adding the BBC iPlayer channel is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. from the Settings menu by navigating to  Settings > System > System restart > Restart. May we also know your current internet service provider?

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Hodge7
Reel Rookie

Hi Lianna,

I am with Three via their 5G broadband service - a router with a sim attached. Speeds for everything else including other apps on Roku are fine.

I have restarted then re-added BBC Iplayer and I still have the streaming issue.

0 Kudos
Hodge7
Reel Rookie

Hello @RokuLianna did you see my reply?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Hodge7

Thanks for the follow up.

Are you experiencing this issue only on the BBC iPlayer channel, or does it happen across other channels as well? If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the BBC iPlayer channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Snapper60
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue with iPlayer on Roku Premier even after changing ISP/broadband provider. Renders live TV and streaming via Roku unwatchable as it seems to consistently drop 25% of frames. I have reported to BBC

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @Snapper60 

Thanks for posting here in the Community!

As previously asked by @RokuDanny-R above, have you checked other channels if the same issue occurs? What are the other troubleshooting steps you've tried? 

Please let us know so we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Snapper60
Reel Rookie

Hi,

It’s fine on other streaming services on the same Roku device. It also happens on my second Roku device but only on BBC iPlayer. 

iPlayer works fine on other platforms

thanks

p

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Snapper60

Thanks for the update.

In an effort to resolve the issue with your playback issue, if you haven't tried it yet, we suggest removing the affected channel and re-installing it. For the best outcome, we recommend restarting your device before re-adding the channel. To do this, follow these steps: go to Settings, then System, and finally, select System restart.

For more information, please refer to this support article: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

If still no luck, we recommend contacting the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. Channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developer themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from the channel developer.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.