Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dfresh567
Roku Guru

Are certain channels cheeper through The Roku Channel

Jump to solution

I’m looking into purchasing a handful of streaming apps as I have some down time coming up. I can’t figured out whether to purchase these channels through the channels themselves or through the roku channel. Is there benefits of doing so and if so what are they? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Are certain channels cheeper through The Roku Channel

Jump to solution

@Dfresh567-

Here's my 2¢:

When you subscribe to a service through a third party (Roku, Amazon, Hulu, whoever) in most cases you will then only be able to access that service through that third party.  If you subscribe directly with the service you can then view that service via their website (if available) and any dedicated apps they have available for other platforms like different streamers, and mobile devices (phones, tablets).

When you subscribe with a third party, your account is with that third party and if there is a problem that must be addressed it often results in the channel service and the third party each pointing fingers at the other.

Sometimes the content the channel service offers through the third party may differ from that offered through a direct subscription.

Generally the pricing is the same either way.  Occasionally you may see a third partly offering a longer promotional free trial period than a direct subscription offers, or vice versa.

In my opinion the ONLY user benefit is that it consolidates your payments.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Are certain channels cheeper through The Roku Channel

Jump to solution

@Dfresh567-

Here's my 2¢:

When you subscribe to a service through a third party (Roku, Amazon, Hulu, whoever) in most cases you will then only be able to access that service through that third party.  If you subscribe directly with the service you can then view that service via their website (if available) and any dedicated apps they have available for other platforms like different streamers, and mobile devices (phones, tablets).

When you subscribe with a third party, your account is with that third party and if there is a problem that must be addressed it often results in the channel service and the third party each pointing fingers at the other.

Sometimes the content the channel service offers through the third party may differ from that offered through a direct subscription.

Generally the pricing is the same either way.  Occasionally you may see a third partly offering a longer promotional free trial period than a direct subscription offers, or vice versa.

In my opinion the ONLY user benefit is that it consolidates your payments.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.