Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bri930
Channel Surfer

Apps won’t play citing licensing issues

Jump to solution

I installed the latest update 11.5.0 4225-AE a few days ago. Since then, HBOMax, YoutubeTv, Peacock, and Disney+ will open but not play any content. Each cites a licensing issue preventing playback. I’ve reset the Roku. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the apps. Nothing seems to work. Is Roku aware and are others having this issue? Thank you for any help 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bri930
Channel Surfer

Re: Apps won’t play citing licensing issues

Jump to solution

I’ve done a factory reset and that has seemed to solve the issue. Thank you for your help 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I watched HBO Max on my Ultra a couple of days ago without issue. I have to ask, are you located somewhere other than the US, perhaps using a VPN on your network? Are any channels other than the ones you mentioned giving the same problem?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Bri930
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’m in the US, in Massachusetts. Netflix, Hulu, and Prime all work. It’s those channels I stated in my post plus now I noticed Showtime doesn’t either, lol. Disney+ updated today, and I was hoping it would rectify the problem, but it didn’t. I want to avoid doing a factory reset, but I may have to 

0 Kudos
Bri930
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

976903BA-B3CB-40AF-8CC8-132CFB2BAD4F.jpeg

This is YouTube tv. The other channels all say something similar 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Thanks, it was just a question that had to be asked. I've never seen a message like that. It's highly unlikely to have anything to do with a Roku OS update. That is related to something specific on the provider's side of the house. Providers such as Google or Netflix often stream their content from multiple server farms, often based on where the request is coming from. Since you're in the northeast, the servers involved are likely different than the ones feeding me in the northwest. But those servers are often all operated by a single company (such as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure), so something affecting one provider might also be impacting a different provider. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Bri930
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

All were working fine. I manually updated my roku on Tuesday. Immediately following the update, those apps I mentioned stopped working. That’s why I assumed it had to do with the update. They went from working to not working in a matter of 10 minutes and the only thing that happened was the update. I don’t know. I’ll try a factory reset 

0 Kudos
Bri930
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’ve done a factory reset and that has seemed to solve the issue. Thank you for your help 🙂

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Glad that cleared the issue up for you. Sometimes update installations just mess up, with no reason. A clean install sometimes is the only solution.

Dan

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.