Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Apple TV keeps restarting Roku

Jump to solution

@catmanda14

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kimmac29
Reel Rookie

Re: Apple TV suddenly started crashing on my Roku 3

Jump to solution

Exact same problem.
I just got 3 months free AppleTV with my new iPhone and despite everything saying my Roku 3 is compatible, whenever I select the AppleTV channel I installed, it restarts the Roku.
If I can’t use a compatible device to watch AppleTV, I’m certainly not spending the money to get a new Roku at the risk it won’t work - and I won’t pay for AppleTV if I don’t have a way to watch it.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I just tried Apple TV on my Premiere 3920, and while a touch sluggish worked just fine. Your Roku 3, depending on the specific model, is either approaching 7 or 9 years old. It was a vary capable player in its day, but it's very underpowered compared to the latest models. Many providers simply aren't being honest about the hardware their devices will work on. HBO Max, Disney+ and Apple TV are three examples that claim to support pretty old hardware, but in real world they simply can't handle the newest channels. 

I believe you'd find any new player, other than the base Express, more than capable of playing Apple TV. I don't recommend the Express, mostly due to the WiFi issues that many have. But the Express 4K is a completely different player, and I have no reservations recommending either version of that one. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
kimmac29
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info Dan!

I’m ordering the Express 4K off Amazon to try.

Thanks, Kim

0 Kudos
Beccamn

Jump to solution

I got mine to work by restarting my roku. 

Didn't even know this was a thing but I saw it on another forum and it worked. 

Press home button 5 times

Up arrow once

Rewind button twice 

Fast forward button twice 

Roku will automatically reset and clear cache. 

0 Kudos
Varus123
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

I’m dealing with this issue right now. 

3820x streaming stick 4K, x017008cterp (s08y41dcterp), 11.0.0 build 4193-cu

AppleTV version 9.0 build 105
RP-214-137
the AppleTV app just automatically crashes.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Varus123

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you tell us more about the issue you're experiencing? When launching the Apple TV app, does it automatically go back to the home screen or automatically restart your Roku device? Please let us know as well if you have tried any troubleshooting steps so we know what other options we can suggest next.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Varus123
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuKariza-D 

It automatically goes back to the home screen. I made sure everything was up to date. I reset the roku. I deleted the app and reinstalled. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Varus123

Thanks for the reply.

Did you restart your Roku device before reinstalling the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > reinstall), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hiya,

I appear to have this same issue on my Roku streambar, any advice on how to fix this for my device?

0 Kudos