Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msorce48
Reel Rookie

Apple TV+ subscription not working on Roku devices

I've had Apple TV+ since the service started and have never had any issues with it on Roku until now. About two weeks ago, it randomly started acting like I did not have an Apple TV+ subscription. Anytime I logged in, it encouraged me to activate my free trial through Roku and when I denied that, it took me to the home page where it declared I did not have a subscription.

I checked my settings on my iPhone and could see clearly there was still an active subscription in my family sharing and that purchase sharing was enabled. I was able to access Apple TV+ on my iPad and my laptop, so it appears this issue is only happening on Roku. It's been happening on both my Roku TV and my Roku Express. I have tried logging in and logging out, I've tried deleting and reinstalling the app, I've ensured all software on the devices and the Apple TV+ app is updated, I've reset both my Roku devices. Nothing has worked.

I contacted Apple and since this is only happening on Roku, they said it's a Roku issue. I spoke to Roku and they said it's an Apple issue. I have no idea what else to try. 

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Apple TV+ subscription not working on Roku devices

@msorce48 

Try activating the 3 month Free Trial - that should resolve the issue (its 3 months free, added to your current account/subscription).

0 Kudos
msorce48
Reel Rookie

That did not work. It gave me an error message that someone in my family sharing already has a subscription so I can't claim this, and then it took me back to the same page I keep getting that says I don't have a subscription (even though it literally just told me I have one)

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@msorce48 

You mentioned deleting/reinstalling the ATV app, but you may not have done it correctly - you must RESTART the Roku before reinstalling.

Try this specific order:

1)  Log out of the ATV app on all devices.

2)  Delete ATV app.

3) RESTART Roku device (both/all devices in your case).

4) Reinstall the ATV app.

Otherwise, this is entirely an Apple support issue:  Apple develops, codes, and publishes the ATV app on the Roku (and other) platform, so you'll need to press them about this account/subscription/Roku app issue.

rslgo

As a member of a family plan, the Apple TV app on Roku has started by asking if I want a free trial AND it also says free as part of Roku subscription so I think Roku have introduced something on to app. Logs in via QR code to iPhone but still get this free trial button to press and sign up. Is it time to go to another stream box?. Hope not as always liked Roku but maybe something going on here...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@rslgo 

Roku didnt add anything to the app - Apple entirely develops, codes, and publishes the app to the Roku Channelstore.

Roku DOES occasionally make trial/subscription deals with different streaming services, but again that's handled by the streaming service (and its app and subscription processes).

You can always try the process I previously posted to see if that provides any resolution for you.

Otherwise, if you're having trouble with your Apple subscription and the Apple TV app, you need to direct your customer service/technical support efforts to Apple CS.

0 Kudos
fsmattern

Hi, I have had the exact same issue. It is ONLY on Roku devices I cannot use ATV and my subscription--I try to sign up for the 3 month free subscription then get message stating family memeber has already purchased this subscription (which is true). When I click OK, it takes me back to the ATV main screen asking to sign up for a 3 month ATV trial!

I followed the specific order of logging out of ATV on all devices, the deleted ATV app on all devices, then restarted Roku on all devices, then reinstalled ATV on all devices...same outcome, not able to use ATV active subscription.  Again, I can simply use ATV on my iphone, Samsung tablet and Lenovo laptop, but NOT on any devices using Roku.

What a nightmare!

msorce48
Reel Rookie

I'm curious if you are a part of a family sharing subscription to ATV? I'm starting to suspect that that may be what is causing the issue. The primary user in my family sharing plan still has their ATV subscription showing up normally, so I am thinking that there is some disconnect happening between Apple's family sharing and the Roku version of ATV not registering that person as having a subscription.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@fsmattern

Thanks for the post.

Instead of trying to sign up for the 3 month free subscription, have you tried authenticating your Apple TV account? Are you unable to login to the channel using your credentials?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jknvk

Same exact issue here for me. Account is through an Apple One family subscription. iTunes purchases load just fine, so not an authentication issue.

0 Kudos