Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blackmagicmage
Reel Rookie

App (screensaver) no longer shows up/works correctly after update

Scenario: I have a few apps that I use when I'm away from the TV such as a clock that has hours, minutes and seconds. However, as of last night (05-13-2024) the app mysteriously vanished from the app wall I have. It will let me select the app from within the mobile Roku app, but it is not there on my roku

Troubleshooting performed: System restart, factory reset, unplug/replug, also reset button on the back of device

Issue ID/Serial number/Software version and build: FU-414-764/X00400P7M0FU (S01333D7M0FU)/14.0.4 Build 12221-AE

Channel software version, if applicable:

Anything else we should know?: I would send screenshots if it allowed me of where it's on my Roku app on my phone but not on my Roku itself if I could

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: App (screensaver) no longer shows up/works correctly after update

Welcome to the Roku Community, @Blackmagicmage!

We're grateful that you've reached out here about the missing apps on your Home screen. We'd like to provide further information about this. 

Roku strives to create an amazing entertainment experience by offering access to thousands of streaming apps. In some cases, streaming services merge, and apps are combined, or providers may choose to remove their apps from our platform. An app also may be removed by us if it violates our terms and conditions.

If you can no longer find the app in the Streaming Store, it may no longer be available on the Roku platform.

For reference and further information about this, you may check our support article dedicated to this: Why is an app no longer available on my Roku streaming device?

We hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Blackmagicmage
Reel Rookie

It's on the streaming store. I can find it, click it and it won't give the option to open it, however on my Roku App on my phone, I can open the app but it will never fully load in. Again, if I could send photos, I would

Edit: I made photo links. This is what I'm talking about https://i.ibb.co/2tyLpFk/Screenshot-20241015-142100.png

https://i.ibb.co/nfNGGxQ/IMG-20241015-141832872.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/sqkr8yp/IMG-20241015-141820684.jpg

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

It's a screensaver.  They're not supposed to show up on your Home Screen, but due to a longstanding bug, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.  Screensavers are meant to automatically launch after a period of inactivity that you can set under the "Theme" settings.  If you want to launch it manually, use the "Preview" option shown in one of your pictures.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Blackmagicmage
Reel Rookie

And I understand it's a screen saver, now if you'd look at the one from my phone you'd see there is an app for it, or used to be. This is not the only thing messing up as now my screen saver won't even pop up correctly.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Blackmagicmage.

Thanks for keeping us informed and for the photos for reference.

Since you've already set this as your screensaver, you won't be able to open this app. Can you please try to find this screensaver under Settings > Themes > Screensaver and confirm the green check mark is there?

If you want this added back to your Home screen's channel lineup, we suggest removing/deleting this screensaver, adding this back, and setting this as your current screensaver.

Furthermore, since you've mentioned about having issues with your current screensaver, could you please tell us more about it? 

We anticipate your update.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Blackmagicmage
Reel Rookie

Well for starters when it goes to screen saver mode it does it for all of 5 seconds and you can have your hand off the remote entirely when it happens. It will click videos on/off by itself now too. This has been since the new update. Also the location of the screensaver shouldn't be the lower right hand side of my screen as I've had this app before and always it's centered on the screen

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@Blackmagicmage 

Thank you for letting us know about this. Here are some suggestions you can try:

• Plug in the affected Roku device to a different TV to see if the screensaver's display issue persists. You may also try different HDMI ports on your TV.
  • Troubleshoot your remote by following the steps provided in this support article under the category of Troubleshoot your Roku simple remote: How to fix your Roku simple remote that is not working

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.