Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Twinmom2015
Reel Rookie

Accessibility Menu for Roku App on Firestick

The Roku Channel App on the Amazon Firestick does NOT have the Accessibility option. Without it, I cannot turn off captions. Captions do not display on every channel. Just certain ones. For example: channel 470 modern marvels, the captions are always on now but channel 471 love nature channel doesn’t have captions.  How do I turn on and off captions without the Accessibility menu?

Ive checked the settings in the Firestick. Captions are off. I’ve reset the Firestick. I’ve turned captions on and back off. I’ve turned them off and on within an app to see if that would trigger a response in the Roku channel app. Nothing works. 

How do I get them off!?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Accessibility Menu for Roku App on Firestick

I haven't used my Firestick in years, but does this help?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html%3FnodeId%3D201493150

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Twinmom2015-

I don't know about The Roku Channel's interface on a Firestick, I've never had one.   

But if it's the similar to the web interface for therokuchannel.com...

Bringing up the overlay showing the program timeline, there are some icons in the lower right corner of the screen:

a.jpg

The icon I've indicated above brings up access to audio track and caption options.  These options will vary according to what is available on any given channel.

Note the timeline itself and the rewind icon on the left are not shown for LIVE channels that can't be rewound or fast forwarded, but the available icons are still there.

For the web interface you bring up this overlay by placing the cursor in the display window or moving it around if already there.  In other interfaces see if the directional keys will do the same.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Twinmom2015
Reel Rookie

unfortunately it doesn’t help. The problem isn’t with Amazon. It’s within the Roku app. 

0 Kudos
Twinmom2015
Reel Rookie

image.jpgThis is what it looks like. There’s the CC option on the menu pop up BUT there’s no accessibility option in the Roku menu that has the option to turn captions on or off. It does have the option in the settings menu to change the appearance of the captions when they’re on. But if you notice behind the channel pop up, you can see the captions. Even messing with the appearance options, it does nothing to the captions currently on screen. It’s like it’s built in, almost like a master switch. Even if I wanted to turn them on, there’s NO accessibility menu in the Roku channel app that allows them to be turned on or off. 

0 Kudos
Twinmom2015
Reel Rookie

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That’s it. No options to turn off or on. Just to change appearance. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.